Re: [News] Microsoft Virtual PC 2007 Has Serious Bugs

  • Subject: Re: [News] Microsoft Virtual PC 2007 Has Serious Bugs
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2007 06:32:21 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
__/ [ Kelsey Bjarnason ] on Wednesday 14 March 2007 06:18 \__

> [snips]
>
> On Sat, 10 Mar 2007 12:28:57 +0000, Mike wrote:
>

>>> ,----[ Quote ]

>>> `----
>>>
>>> http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070222/ap_on_hi_te/microsoft_virtual_vista_2
>

>> So the software is protective. You'd rather it would let anyone in?
>
> Except it's not, really.
>
> Virtualization doesn't really make anything more - or less - secure.  If
> the host OS is secure, you're not going to hack it.  If the client OS is
> secure, you're not going to hack that, either.
>
> You can, of course, use unsafe OSen or unsafe options at either level, but
> simply involving virtualization doesn't make things less secure.

It will become less secure when/if Ballmer foolishly shoves virtualisation
into an already-monolithic kernel, just in order to push away rivals.

A Software Maker Goes Up Against Microsoft

,----[ Quote ]
| When quizzed on Microsoft's plans, Mr. Ballmer replied, "Our view is
| that virtualization is something that should be built into the
| operating system."
`----

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/02/24/technology/24soft.html?ex=1172898000&en=bbca645a927ef7f8&ei=5099&partner=TOPIXNEWS
http://tinyurl.com/35jkur

Remember what happened with they combined Web browser (page rendering) and
file manahement in order to elbow Netscape?

--
                ~~ Best wishes

Roy S. Schestowitz      | FreeBSD - sidling with a little devil
Mem:    514480k total,   411028k used,   103452k free,    35764k buffers