Re: [News] Web-based Software Entends to Connectionless Desktops

Roy Schestowitz wrote:

> Start-up Zimbra takes Web e-mail offline
>
> ,----[ QQuote ]
> | E-mail software company Zimbra on Sunday is set to release an
> | early version of Zimbra Desktop, Web e-mail software that will
> | run online and offline.
> `----
>
> http://news.zdnet.com/2100-3513_22-6170118.html
>
> Also platform-independent. It could become a "disruptive" force, which is
> something that Microsoft has acknowledged (vocally).

It looks very good in the demo, hardly a full test but it seems to have been
well thought out.

The odd part I thought was the breakdown in the editions of the OpenSource,
Consumer and Business email editions. The real benefit of this sort of
thing is only in the Network Standard and Network Professional systems. but
still the cost of those anually is not high compared with other
collaberation systems.

If Zimbra works as well in real life as it looks on the flash demos, then it
could make a nice addition on any internal company Linux server.