Re: security experts FUD $100 laptops ..

__/ [ Doug Mentohl ] on Monday 26 March 2007 15:56 \__

> 'security experts have openly questioned how the group would ensure that
> its diminutive, neon-colored laptops wouldn't be used to wreak havoc, or
> be overrun by malware attacks, after they land in children's hands'
>
> 'OLPC .. has added a key to the devices' keyboards that allows them to
> view the source code of programs they are running. Security researchers
> contend that such features may create more problems than they solve'
>
> 'Sean Coyne .. told the ShmooCon crowd that the devices could easily be
> turned into a 10 million node botnet operation, or even have their
> cameras compromised by malware that helps aid in acts of international
> slavery and kidnapping.
>
> 'The consultant theorized that foreign governments  .. could use them to
> distribute propaganda, or to track children's movements, or that people
> who see the machines as tools of Western influence might seek to take
> them from children and destroy the devices'
>
> "Net culture is dominated by Western society, and now this is being
> piped into these developing nations and its unsure who is ready for it.
> Are these cultures ready for YouTube?"
>
> "We know that laptops can be exploited, and that kids can be exploited;
> kids with laptops can definitely be taken advantage of."
>
> http://www.infoworld.com/article/07/03/25/HNshmoocon_olpc_1.html
>
> key words:
>
> botnet, destroy the devices, distribute propaganda, kidnapping, kids can
> be exploited, malware attacks, slavery, source code , stolen, track
> children's movements, wreak havoc, youngsters

Let them talk (and be paid for their attempts to sabotage a project that
about 10 countires have already embraced). This is not different from the
OOXML debate where the propaganda machine and money flow is at work, as
witnessed and reported by high government officials. For that reason, there
are good answers:

Bitfrost - Bitfrost is the OLPC security platform

,----[ Quote ]
| We have set out to create a system that is both drastically
| more secure and provides drastically more usable security than
| any mainstream system currently on the market.
`----

http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Bitfrost

OLPC's XO laptop comes with anti-theft kill-switch in select countries

,----[ Quote ]
| OLPC has responded to such concerns by developing an anti-theft
| daemon that the project claims cannot be disabled, even by a user
| with root access.

                ~~ Best wishes

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    Download Reversi: http://othellomaster.com
  4:05pm  up 14 days 23:08,  5 users,  load average: 1.17, 0.92, 1.01