Re: [News] Compaq Says Installing Linux Voids Its Hardware Warranty

__/ [ Mark Kent ] on Sunday 25 March 2007 07:16 \__

>> __/ [ John Locke ] on Saturday 24 March 2007 18:30 \__

>>> This is probably do to contract agreements with Microsoft. Well, since
>>> I just loaded Ubuntu on my HP/Compaq laptop I suppose I'm in the
>>> same boat. Lovely. Just lovely.
>>
>> So if you spill some coffee on it, this could be the fault of Linux.
>>
>> Seriously though, what does the keyboard have to do with Linux in the case
>> above. They needn't even switch on the laptop to fix the issue. In fact,
>> she should have simply refused to say that the laptop has Linux installed.
>> Unless she opens it and changes the underlying mechanics of it it's /her/
>> laptop and it's none of their business which code is run by the hardware,
>> which is what they sell. There was a discussion a while back about Gates
>> and the 'naked PC'. They try to suggest that the code (READ: Windows) is
>> an integral part of the PC. The best revenge would be to turn all XBox360s
>> into Linux servers.
>>

> I think the position Compaq are taking would be considered to be illegal
> in the UK.  A trip to CAB could be useful for that one.

As a matter of pricipal, people should mod the laptop's casing and then
report a purely-software fault to Compaq/Microsoft.

--
                ~~ Best wishes

Roy S. Schestowitz      | Vista: Windows XP with bling-bling, nothing else
Tasks: 115 total,   1 running, 113 sleeping,   0 stopped,   1 zombie