Re: [News] Microsoft Fan Angered by Vista, Will Upgrade to Linux

__/ [ John Locke ] on Saturday 24 March 2007 04:53 \__

> On Sat, 24 Mar 2007 02:17:10 +0000, Roy Schestowitz
> <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>>I really struggle to find positive reports. Those who eventually stay with
>>it just equate the experience to sleeping with a stranger and then coming
>>to grip with it. It's about coping and then finding some shiny bits that
>>makes the transition seem worthwhile. FWIW, all the eye candy can be
>>installed (through slight hacking) in XP. Linux is not only able to mimic
>>Aero Glass, but it does much more. In terms of function, it is ahead. And
>>there are other factors, which are less conspicuous, but much more
>>important. Running for months without rebooting, for instance, is a real
>>time saver.
>
> A new version of Beryl has been released 0.2.0:
> http://www.beryl-project.org/news.php
>
> It looks impressive. I've seen a few demos of the earlier version.
> Its still pretty much experimental, but eventually it may be included
> as an option in some of the distros.

April's Ubuntu includes Compiz (Beryl's 'parent') by default, but it's
disabled. October's Ubuntu will include both proprietary drivers /and/
Beryl, which is now merging with Compiz. They will be enabled by default, so
even the live CD will offer all the pretty stuff. It will have stabilised by
then (the reason for exclusion at present).

--
                ~~ Best wishes

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    "Disk quota exceeded; sig discontinued"
Cpu(s):  23.4% user,   4.6% system,   0.9% nice,  71.1% idle