Re: [News] 80% of the Desktops Are Not Ready for Vista

Roy Schestowitz wrote:
> __/ [ Andrea ] on Friday 23 March 2007 22:54 \__
>
>> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>>> Survey says most desktops not Vista-ready
>>>
>>> ,----[ Quote ]
>>> `----
>> Well, some certified machines are not ready in fact. Today I had to
>> install driver (WHQL) for integrated audio chip on such "certified" one.
>> Quick download, setup, reboot, BSOD, reboot, BSOD, reboot, BSOD,
>> reboot... safe mode, uninstallation, system up and running, but
>> completely mute...
>
> Yes, that's what I have read. Some machines have the Vista 'promise', but
> when it comes to practical things (beyond the sticker), it appears to go
> nowhere and burn away people's weekend (or week).
>
> Some of them (hard to gauge what proportion) end up going back to XP (and say
> to friends "yeah, I've tried Vista, but [my next O/S won't be Windows|I'll
> try it again when SPs are out]"), trying Linux, or buying a Mac.

Well, I'm also considering complete removal of Vista. My system is
rather unstable (for example: choose exit in Total Commander and it will
cause an error). Suspend mode works only if BIOS is set to ACPI S1. Set
it to S3, try to turn on suspend and see a hangup. Sometimes vista
cannot even shut down - i don't know why.
But most complete failure is a sound system. No hardware mixing, no 3D
audio (EAX/HRTF). Yesterdey I discovered another major drawback: no
hardware midi support for my card. I know, most chips today does not
have hardware midi by design, relying completely on crappy built-in
DirectMusic software. But Audigy has built-in hardware synthesizer, and
under XP quality of music is MUCH better than provided by DirectMusic
(especially when I've loaded 20MB GM sound font bank instead of 4MB
provided by Creative). In Vista I do not have a choice. MS decided (or
maybe Creative, I don't know) that I do not need hardware midi
anymore.Another Audigy/Vista issue: no mic boost - so, voice
communication is a pain in the ass... To be honest: linux is no better
when I speak about hardware midi (TiMidity is no alternative), but at
least MicBoost works...
Last but not least: typically I use Thunderbird for mail and news, but
I've decided to test Windows Mail. God, what a crap! I wonder why WM
redraws own windows with speed comparable to some basic-interpreted
programs 20 years ago... WM is completely useless, it is even worse than
Outlook Express and I didn't expected that it is even possible.

So much for my opinion...

--
Andrea|ASRock K7Upgrade880, AMD Sempron 2800@2340MHz, Pentagram QC-80Cu
1024MB DDR-400, Sapphire Radeon 9600 128MB, Samsung SyncMaster SM-960BF