Re: [News] 80% of the Desktops Are Not Ready for Vista

__/ [ Andrea ] on Friday 23 March 2007 22:54 \__

> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>> Survey says most desktops not Vista-ready
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | Vendor finds 80 percent of machines did not meet at least one of
>> | Microsoft's four criteria
>> `----
>
> Well, some certified machines are not ready in fact. Today I had to
> install driver (WHQL) for integrated audio chip on such "certified" one.
> Quick download, setup, reboot, BSOD, reboot, BSOD, reboot, BSOD,
> reboot... safe mode, uninstallation, system up and running, but
> completely mute...

Yes, that's what I have read. Some machines have the Vista 'promise', but
when it comes to practical things (beyond the sticker), it appears to go
nowhere and burn away people's weekend (or week).

Some of them (hard to gauge what proportion) end up going back to XP (and say
to friends "yeah, I've tried Vista, but [my next O/S won't be Windows|I'll
try it again when SPs are out]"), trying Linux, or buying a Mac.

Mac and Linux users are overwhelmed by glee as they see the core development
team of Windows (and advocacy) turning their back on the most hyped up
product in history. The only thing that's more hyped up, IMHO, was the
anti-WoMD crusade.

--
                ~~ Best wishes

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    Warning 0x12C: ispell feels tired
  2:05am  up 12 days 10:08,  6 users,  load average: 1.12, 1.43, 1.43