Re: Vista - Arrogance & Stupidity

__/ [ Paul Bramscher ] on Wednesday 21 March 2007 04:42 \__

> Shane Nokes wrote:
>> "NoStop" <nospam@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
>>> An important read ...
>>>
>>> "Upgrading to Windows Vista has been banned by the U.S. Department of
>>> Transportation (DOT), the National Institute of Standards and Technology
>>> (NIST), the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA), technology giant Texas
>>> Instruments and other corporations and government agencies (V1, V10,
>>> V11).
>>> These organizations are evaluating their options, but overseas it's
>>> turning
>>> into a stampede to get out of Microsoft software (V15)."
>>>
>>> "It's becoming clear people are going to be holding on to their XP
>>> machines
>>> as long as they can. Chip manufacturers in particular face a damaging
>>> glut
>>> of memory and CPU chips because the anticipated Vista upgrade demand
>>> isn't
>>> materializing."
>>>
>>> "What went wrong? Basically, Vista was designed with almost no
>>> consideration
>>> for the needs of Microsoft's customers. James Allchin, co-president of
>>> Microsoft's Platform Products and Services Group wrote an internal memo
>>> saying that Microsoft had lost touch with customer needs and if he didn't
>>> work there he'd buy an Apple Macintosh (V12). Allchin retired the day
>>> Vista
>>> shipped."
>>>
>>> Full article here ...
>>>
>>> http://www.aaxnet.com/editor/edit043.html
>>>
>>> Cheers.
>
>> I hope you do realize that they said the same thing about XP.
>>
>> It's not against Vista per se, it's just how the gov deals with things.
>>
>> They'll roll out Vista in late '08 or early '09 just watch, that's what
>> they always do.
>
> I've been in civil service for 22 years, and (yes) US government LOVES
> to knuckle under industry.  Especially if they're getting something for
> their indiscretions.
>
> But a lot of departments are seriously cash-starved, and (let's face it)
> linux is simply better for secure/sensitive/discrete sorts of work,
> research efforts, large-scale work, blah blah blah.
>
> The X and Y generation is hip to linux, sometimes out of economic
> necessity.  They'll eventually become the next generation of
> bureaucrats.  The implications are fairly trivial to read.

Comparisons between the adoption rates of XP and the adoption rates of Vista
have already been made. The differences are mind blowing.

Survey: Vista Used Less than 1 percent of PCs

,----[ Quot
| Windows Vista may yet prove to be an unstoppable juggernaut,
| but statistics released Thursday by a market research firm
| show that the new operating system hasn't even licked its
| nine-year old ancestor.
`----

http://www.pcworld.com/article/id,129525/article.html

The poor quality of Windows Vista results from internal issues, so look for
no past patterns.

Understanding Open Source technology

,----[ Quote ]
| Already industrial watchers are pointing to a serious showdown,
| which in the meantime, the Chief Executive of Microsoft Corporation,
| Steve Ballmer did not rule out in a recent interview in which he
| also explained why Microsoft announced a sweeping reorganisation
| of its Windows division.
|
| "We have to outrun this phenomenon" he was quoted as saying, and "
| ...if we let up for a minute... then that other stuff [Linux] will gain
| attraction."
`----

http://www.thetidenews.com/article.aspx?qrDate=01/31/2007&qrTitle=Understanding%20Open%20Source%20technology&qrColumn=ISSUES

Also consider these:

MS Insider: The Office Crew Isn't Smart Enough to Supplant Real Windows
Developers

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://www.emailbattles.com/2006/09/11/ms-insider-the-office-crew-isnt-smart-enough-to-supplant-real-windows-developers/
http://tinyurl.com/35eqrt

,----[ Quote ]
| "Up to 60% of the code in the new consumer version of Microsoft new Vista
| operating system is set to be rewritten as the Company 'scrambles' to fix
| internal problems a Microsoft insider has confirmed to SHN... Microsoft has
| also admitted that it has major problems in it's Windows division and has
| has immediately initiated a total restructure of the division..."
`----

http://www.smarthouse.com.au/Computing/Platforms?Article=/Computing/Platforms/R7G5G6U4

Microsoft admits Vista screwed - report

,----[ Quote ]
| Vista SP1 is code named "Fiji", presumably after a pretty looking
| island which is paralysed by coups.
|
| In a statement regarding the service pack Microsoft admits that
| Vista has "high impact" problems.

                ~~ Best wishes

Roy S. Schestowitz      | Useful fact: close elevator button = Express Mode