Re: [News] [Linux] Linux Products Company Acquired for $60 Million

[H]omer <spam@xxxxxxx> espoused:
>> Linux-based storage device vendor acquired
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | A privately held vendor of Linux-based NAS (network attached
>> | storage) appliances has been acquired by a large consumer
>> | electronics vendor. Netgear will pay $60 million in cash for
>> | Infrant Technologies, which offers a "ReadyNAS" product line
>> | based on a custom Linux implementation called "RAIDiator."
>> `----
>>
>> http://www.linuxdevices.com/news/NS4456561854.html
>
> Good move. Netgear's current SAN product is a pig that didn't work well
> with Linux, but I've heard some success stories of using Samba4. NAS is
> lower performance, although iSCSI helped to alleviate that. I haven't
> heard about "RAIDiator" before, so there could be some further
> improvements. It's about time Netgear got a decent network storage solution.

These are such obvious devices to create/have, just like having printers
with their own IP stack.  Presumably, the next generation of Samsungs,
HPs, Canons and so on will have linux and CUPs already on them, complete
with PPD files and the works.  Just point your CUPs client at them and
all is done.