Re: [News] Dell's Linux PCs withheld from UK

> Time to lap up Linux
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | The game's not over yet, but new rules are in place. Linux is
> | ready, the hardware is ready -- and, if the market is ready, the results
> | will be spectacular. Drivers, start your laptops.
> `----
>
> http://opinion.zdnet.co.uk/leader/0,1000002208,39286937,00.htm?r=2

   "Take Dell's announcement of pre-installed Ubuntu. That's being sold
   as a natural reaction to market demand: there's some truth in that.
   But Dell feels able to respond because it is comfortable that support
   is manageable and its brand won't be harmed by bad experiences."

   . . .

   "And the smaller you go, the better Linux looks. Intel has said it is
   working with Ubuntu and Red Flag Linux developers to make sure
   everything's ready for the next generation of ultra-mobile PCs, where
   the open-source software's much smaller footprint, greater
   flexibility, rich mix of applications, solid security and high speed
   of development makes it a very attractive alternative to either Vista
   or Windows Mobile. It doesn't hurt that the primary usage mode for
   laptop and portable devices these days is as roaming internet-access
   devices, an area which has proved resolutely platform independent.
   Microsoft is very exposed in that area: it forces hard decisions on
   developers and charges for the privilege."

No wonder DFS is so outrageous lately.  He's got to try much harder to
troll, since anything milder doesn't excite comment anymore.

Microsoft had better have enough cash to buy up all the data centers and
ISPs in order to choke off Free Software.  That is the only way they can
keep their current model (monopoly OS/Office formats) in place, I
believe.

--
   Linux -- because it's *your* money, not Microsoft's