Re: [News] Microsoft Becomes Desparate in Fight to Keep Office Lockin Alive

> After takin' a swig o' grog, Roy Schestowitz belched out this bit o' wisdom:

>> http://blogs.zdnet.com/open-source/?p=959
>
>    Edwards charges that conversions using the ODF's daVinci and ACME 376
>    systems worked fine in all beta releases of Office 2007, then broke
>    in the final public version. Microsoft did this, he writes, through
>    changes to OOXML, a Microsoft proprietary product built into its
>    Exchange/SharePoint Hub. He adds:
>
>     (Watch carefully now, the hand is quicker than the eye; ViSTO
>      2005, which was released with MSOffice 2007, dropped support for
>      MSXML entirely in favor of the MS version of OOXML. (i mention
>      this because there is clear evidence that MOOXML, legacy
>      MOOXML, and now MOOXL Binary InfoSet for Excel all include
>      eXtensions and dependencies that differ from the Ecma 376
>      version submitted to ISO/IEC).
>
> Who'd a thunk it?  Microsoft changing formats so soon?  My oh my my my.
> Tsk tsk.

Q: When is a standard not a standard?
A: When it emerges from the Microsoft Thunk Tank.

*This* is why we can never trust Microsoft to deliver any "standard",
Open or otherwise, much less depend on the Openness of that standard.

I went looking for Microsoft's personal spin on OOXML, just to count the
lies. Interestingly, a Google search for "OOXML" reveals *zero* links
back to Microsoft on the first three pages at all, and even on the
*fourth* page (at position 39) I only got a link to blogs.msdn.com.
Bizarre! You'da thunk that MS would have trackbacks to their site for
OOXML all over the place, but ... apparently it ain't worth their effort.

So I thought "I know, I'll try Microsoft wonderful 'Live Search',
shirley(sic) that'll yield some results". I didn't know the URL off by
heart though (naturally, since I never use it - <spit>), so ... yep, I
had to *Google* for "microsoft live search". As I was typing, Google's
autocomplete returned one match ... "microsoft live search broken".

ROTFLMAO!!!

[Edit] Oops, my bad. It turns out that autocomplete was from my local
cache. Oh well, it seemed funny at the time. Trust me, you had to be there.

Oh, it's just "live.com" (Doh!).

Off we go then...

Immediately CS-Notifier (plugin) pops up to remind me that live.com is a
Microsoft site, and I should don my tinfoil hat, load the shotgun, and
lock up my valuables.

Well damn! Still no Microsoft hits for "OOXML". I *am* speling it
ceroctly arent eye?

OK folks, time to get hardcore, bite the bullet, spank the monkey, and
brace for impact, as I head off into the Heart if Darkness, otherwise
known as microsoft.com. Better use Tor to anonymise my IP for this one.

Oh crap. Their search box is "powered by Live". Oh well, I'll try
anyway, here goes...

Bingo! We have a winner. Now, which of these links looks most "spinny"?

How about "Interoperability, Choice and Open XML"

http://www.microsoft.com/interop/letters/choice.mspx

"A lot of hype â and smoke and mirrors obfuscation -- surrounds
interoperability these days. The best way to cut through it is to..."

Take everything Microsoft says about it as gospel? Hmm. Lemme see.

I don't see much there about modifying their "standard" *after*
submission for ratification, do you?

Is modifying a standard after submission for ratification the best way
to "cut though" the "hype â and smoke and mirrors obfuscation"?

Could be. Microsoft knows best, I guess.

>> http://sutor.com/newsite/blog-open/?p=1145
>>
>> Is Office Open XML A One-Way Standard? Ask Microsoft
>
>    Finally, do this little thought experiment: imagine how thick a ream,
>    or 500 sheets of paper is. Double that to get the thickness of a
>    thousand pages, make that 4 times thicker to see how thick 4000 pages
>    is. That's how many pages were in the last draft of the Open XML
>    spec. How many people will you need to implement that fully and
>    correctly, much less read it? I believe the final version is around
>    six thousand pages (correction?). I think we're already past
>    feasibility for most people unless you've already implemented
>    and debugged the software over a period of years.
>
> What a barrage.

Put another way; those office supply boxes of A4 paper, that contain 6x
reams of 500 sheets, and weigh a tonne - the OOXML spec is *two* of
those boxes!!!

Holy Hernia!

--
K.
http://slated.org

.----
| 'Also, no one calls it PCI-X even though that's the "official "
| shortening of the much more commonly used "PCI Express".'
|    - Hardon Quirk, COLA's resident "genius".
`----

Fedora Core release 5 (Bordeaux) on sky, running kernel 2.6.20-1.2312.fc5
 03:09:18 up 31 days, 41 min,  3 users,  load average: 1.33, 0.93, 0.72