Re: Microsoft patent FUD © ..

__/ [ Linonut ] on Thursday 31 May 2007 11:59 \__

> After takin' a swig o' grog, Doug Mentohl belched out this bit o' wisdom:
>
>> 'I do think it clearly establishes that open source is not free and open
>> source will have to respect intellectual property rights of others just
>> as any other competitor will.', Steve Ballmer
>
> Hypocrite.

To Microsoft you?re not a customer. You're a thief.

,----[ Quote ]
| Well, guess what? You're required to validate the authenticity of your
| operating system when you download a calculator from Microsoft...
|
| [...]
|
| Microsoft have lost the plot. They pay UMG $1 per Zune sold, kissing
| their asses, then proceed to call iPod users a thieves. Why? Because
| Microsoft is weak and sold out by paying the music cartel. Most users
| of music players actually rip music off CDs on to their players.
| Therefore, according to Microsoft, all you Zune users are thieves.
|
| [...]
|
| Then Microsoft makes a deal with Novell because, according to Steve
| Ballmer, Linux infringes on Microsoft intellectual property. Essentially
| the deal ensures that Microsoft will not sue Novell. Again, according
| to them, they are then calling Linux users (all but those using Novell
| Linux, of course) a bunch of thieves.
`----

http://www.radioactivecode.com/?p=162

Another writeup in Linux.com talked about how hysterical Ballmer's comments
were. Microosft gained notoriety for being the biggest IP theif of all time.

NT influenced by Unix

,----[ Quote ]
| (Gates:) "And through Windows NT, you can see it throughout the design.
| In a weak sense, it is a form of Unix. There are so many of the
| design decisions that have been influenced by that environment. And
| that's no accident."
|
| In light of the recent saber rattling about Linux and patents, the "There
| are so many of the design decisions that have been influenced by that
| environment" sentence is particularly interesting if these patent
| threats include things that are prior Unix art. "In a weak sense, it
| is a form of Unix" is also telling. I said before that I don't think
| that's the case; I think the patent stuff is talking about things like
| Samba and Mono, but even there the "influenced by that environment"
| could be important in the court of public opinion if not in actual
| law.
`----

http://aplawrence.com/Unixart/gates_quote.html

Recent:

Hey Microsoft, isn't that the iPod scroll wheel?

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://news.com.com/8301-10784_3-9719258-7.html?part=rss&subj=news&tag=2547-1_3-0-20

--
                ~~ Best regards

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    Free 3-D Reversi: http://othellomaster.com
roy      pts/1                         Wed May 30 06:41   still logged in