Re: [News] [Rival] Is Microsoft Using More Vile Tricks to Force DRM and Lockin?

Roy Schestowitz wrote:

> Related:
>
> Apple Users Petition Prime Minister
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | UK Apple users are petitioning the Prime Minister Tony Blair over the
> | BBC's decision to make streaming media available to Windows users
> | only. The BBC plans to launch an on-demand tv service which uses
> | software that will only be available to Windows users.
> `----
>
> http://www.digmo.co.uk/misc/apple-users-petition-prime-minister/
>

> Microsoft Tells Apple To Stop Complaining About DRM
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | "At the same time I wouldn?t go as far as Steve Jobs did and suggest
> | that everything is the fault of the record labels," added Smith.
> | "People who produce content and who own the rights to that content
> | deserve the opportunity to make their own decisions about how theyw
> | ant to provide that content to the public," added Smith.
> `----
>
> http://www.podcastingnews.com/2007/04/13/microsoft-apple-drm/
>

> Microsoft: We Like DRM
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | Steve Jobs wants the music business to drop restrictions for digital
> | tunes. But Microsoft, which began competing head to head with Apple
> | in the digital music business last fall, is happy with the way things
> | are, says media exec Robbie Bach.
> `----
>
> http://www.forbes.com/2007/02/08/zune-drm-itunes-tech-media-cx_df_0208bach.html?partner=yahootix
> http://tinyurl.com/2lrz3y
>

> Why Microsoft will fight for DRM
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | In a DRM-free world Windows Media formats are basically dead.
> | Online stores locked out of the iPod because of FairPlay. Will
> | not choose to lock themselves out by using only Windows Media if
> | they use it at all. I think it?s obvious that the people at
> | Microsoft know that. When the number one MP3 player will never
> | support your format, Microsoft is left with a lot invested in
> | something that won?t amount to much. The only way Microsoft
> | can save its investment in Windows Media is to have a DRM
> | Windows Media player that is a run away success. This is why
> | Microsoft will not join with Apple in calling for a DRM-free
> | world. They need DRM so they are going to fight for it.
> `----
>
> http://km.lqz.ca/blog/tech/microsoft-fight-drm/

Hey, for the most part, the intelligent portion of the Internet are all
 running Apple, GNU/Linux, *BSD, Solaris.

My recommendation for those intelligent folks tired of being locked in
to the "114,000 Microsoft Virus Definitions" and DRM is to start their
freedom march with http://pclinuxos.com or http://www.mepis.org