Re: [News] GNOME's Future Direction Discussed

____/ graeme on Wednesday 07 November 2007 02:14 : \____

> On Wed, 07 Nov 2007 00:29:11 +0000, [H]omer wrote:
> (snips)
>> So that's it, I give up on SAMBA. From now on my network shares are NFS,
>> and Windows can just sit there in isolation. I'll buy a USB keychain to
>> transfer files to the WinDummy boxen.
>
> Or setup a simple FTP or HTTP server. Open spec protocols those, in theory
> better interoperability with Windows. Granted security is an issue and
> the result isn't a filesystem to browse through.

I was going to suggest just /that/ to [H]omer before I read your message. The
standards of the Web to the rescue... use them before Microsoft destroys them
with REST, XAML (Silverlight) and other exclusion strategies.

Maybe SFTP instead of FTP?

Roy S. Schestowitz      | Windows is 'intuitive': go to 'Start' to finish
session