Re: [News] GNOME's Future Direction Discussed

____/ [H]omer on Wednesday 07 November 2007 00:29 : \____

>> Fedora 8 looks like an exciting release based on various articles
>> I've come across. If you include kde-desktop (or if it's easily
>> yummable, I'll put your spin on my home machine and help as much as I
>> can.
>
> Thanks. BTW: are you still involved in SueMe® Linux?

Shane maintains it and I don't do Slax, so I haven't looked into it. It's also
a Live CD, so my home machine wouldn't like it much with just 256 MB of RAM.

>> I don't need Mono. There's no Windows whatsoever anywhere in
>> computing environment. Not at work, not at home, not in the routers
>> rooms, not in the computational clusters (they all run Fedora, but I
>> haven't used them in a while)... just comes to show how the world has
>> quietly changes when Windows got purged (Microsoft still counts this
>> as 'market share').
>
> My "heterogeneous" environment comprises 22 Fedora installs and just 2
> XP installs (duel{sic} boot). XP is rarely booted in either case.

Just to slice and dice content that you /already/ paid for, but is only
accessible to those who phone Mother Ship in Washington State, IIRC.

> Nonetheless, I've configured SAMBA on all the systems so that their poor
> XP cousins may access shares on all the other machines, since apparently
> nobody knows how to implement NFS properly under Windows. My experiment
> with the erstwhile Microsoft Services for UNIX was a disastrous failure,
> so bad in fact that I was literally forced to reinstall Windows. No, I'm
> not kidding.

That's why I threw out the last Windows installation back in 2005. Linux would
play nice with everyone. Windows, on the other hand, would play nice with
no-one. Linux shares. Coversely, Windows hoards.

> But here's the rub ...
>
> Linux -> Linux, and Windows -> Linux; I have no problem accessing SAMBA
> shares; but Linux -> Windows SMB is a royal pain in the neck, resulting
> in files that can be seen but not copied, appended but not deleted, etc.
> I've spent weeks and weeks on this, without any success. I officially
> give up. The clue is that not even Windows -> Windows SMB works reliably
> most of the time. Network shares appear and disappear with no apparent
> reason, and accessing shares that worked minutes earlier, results in
> obscure "resource" type errors that mean nothing to me.
>
> Naturally, NFS just works. Always. (queue DooFy with a "Whhaaa! I broked
> my NFS - Linux has failed".
>
> So that's it, I give up on SAMBA. From now on my network shares are NFS,
> and Windows can just sit there in isolation. I'll buy a USB keychain to
> transfer files to the WinDummy boxen.

I just use a couple of high-capacity external hard-drives. They are treated as
mass-storage devices, they are very portable, andyouI can reformat the buggers
to be ext3 and give Win32 the middle finger (NTFS, which was used on one of
them by default, was fragile enough to lead to self-inflicted madness).

Roy S. Schestowitz      | Windows all-in-one: Word, IE (for E-mail) & iTunes