Re: [News] GNOME's Future Direction Discussed

____/ [H]omer on Tuesday 06 November 2007 09:49 : \____

>> Exciting Features For GNOME 2.22, 2.24
> [...]
>> Evolution is bound to get 'infected' with some Microsoft DNA (Mono)
>> soon, says Mr. Mono. Patent insiders at Novell...
>
> I *hate* bashing Gnome, I really do, but Mono is getting me down. I just
> don't want it.
>
> That idea I had for a new distro, is starting to look more and more like
> a *necessity* rather than just a passing interest. Time to fork.
>
> In fact I've just decided that I am going to do it. Fsck it. Let's do
> it. Contributors welcome.
>
> The distro will be based off Fedora. I'll wait 'till F8 is out, then
> I'll respin, and purge all the crud, starting with Mono.
>
> Features (off the top of my head) will include:
>
> . Iceweasel
> . Icedove
> . Gnome (sterilised)
> . Compiz-Fusion
> . Kernel-2.6.23 branch (sterilised)
> . freetype (sans BCI)
> . Free media codecs only (FLAC, Ogg, Theora, Dirac?)
> . NFS only (No SAMBA)
> . Standard Linux filesystems only (No FAT/12/16/32 or NTFS)
> . Amarok (clean)
> . SMPlayer (clean)
> . K3B
> . No Wine, ndiswrapper, madwifi, fglrx, or nVidia blobs
> . OpenOffice.org
> . cinelerra
> . blender
> . Gimp
> . Digikam
> . Avidemux
> . Other stuff? TBA. The usual suspects.
> . Full toolchains, buildsystem, repo mirroring tools, etc.
> . All corresponding sources
>
> Want interoperability with Windows, in a heterogeneous environment?
> Go elsewhere.
>
> Bounty #1: An HTML5/SVG alternative to Flash, inc. IDE.
> Bounty #2: There's no step 2.

Fedora 8 looks like an exciting release based on various articles I've come
across. If you include kde-desktop (or if it's easily yummable, I'll put your
spin on my home machine and help as much as I can. I don't need Mono. There's
no Windows whatsoever anywhere in computing environment. Not at work, not at
home, not in the routers rooms, not in the computational clusters (they all
run Fedora, but I haven't used them in a while)... just comes to show how the
world has quietly changes when Windows got purged (Microsoft still counts this
as 'market share').

Roy S. Schestowitz     | Open minds, open source
 22:05:01 up 7 days,  2:16,  3 users,  load average: 0.91, 0.91, 1.24