Re: Timmy's poison and Linux poison

____/ High Plains Thumper on Tuesday 06 November 2007 11:21 : \____

http://groups.google.com/group/comp.os.linux.advocacy/msg/04a3d90e610f98df?dmode=source

>>> Is that Smith troll claiming he's a linux advocate now?
>>
>> The 'polite' Timmy has a new name: Tim "go fuck yourself!!!!"
>> Smith. That's why he's killfiled here and elsewhere.
>
> Yes, he said it politely, didn't he?  A poison by any other name
> is still a poison.
>
> Speaking of poison, I found this article interesting:
>
> http://linuxpoison.blogspot.com/
>
> [quote]
> Friday, November 2, 2007
> Mac OS X Leopard Is Coming to Your Linux Desktop
>
> Do you want to give your desktop a dash of Mac OS X? The goal of
> Mac4Lin project is to bring the look and feel of Mac OS X (latest
> being 10.5, Leopard) on *nix GTK based systems. This document
> will present the procedure to install Mac4Lin pack & tweak
> certain things to get that almost perfect Mac OS X like desktop.
> [/quote]
>
> Here's something interesting, create a file in Linux, format it
> to any suitable Linux standard, then mount it as though it were a
> disk:
>
> [quote]
> Create Linux Filesystem From An Ordinary File
>
> Under Linux, you can create a regular file, format it as an ext2,
> ext3, or reiser filesystem, and then mount it just like a
> physical drive. It's then possible to read and write files to
> this newly-mounted device. You can also copy the complete
> filesystem, since it is just a file, to another computer.
>
> First, you want to create a 20MB file or any size you want by
> executing the following command:
>
>        $ dd if=/dev/zero of=disk-image count=40960
>       40960+0 records in
>       40960+0 records out
>
> Next, to format this as an ext3 filesystem, you just execute the
> following command:
>
>        $ /sbin/mkfs -t ext3 -q disk-image
>       mke2fs 1.32 (09-Nov-2002)
>       disk-image is not a block special device.
>       Proceed anyway? (y,n) y
>
> You are asked whether to proceed because this is a file, and not
> a block device. That is OK.
>
> Next, you need to create a directory that will serve as a mount
> point for the loopback device.
>
>        $ mkdir fs
>
> You must do the next command as root, or with an account that has
> superuser privileges.
>
>        # mount -o loop=/dev/loop0 disk-image fs
>
> You can now create new files, write to them, read them, and do
> everything you normally would do on a disk drive. To make normal
> user to use this filesystem you need to give valid permission to
> the directory holding this filesystem.
> [/quote]
>
> There are some slick things one can do in Linux.

You're linking to a blog that just plagiarises and contains content from other
Linux Web sites. I think it has been banned from Digg by now.

Roy S. Schestowitz      | Windows Vistaster: Newly-coined Windows MEstake
 22:20:01 up 7 days,  2:31,  3 users,  load average: 1.40, 1.15, 1.07