Re: [News] GNU/Linux in NASA's Mars Rovers

____/ Mark Kent on Tuesday 20 November 2007 15:36 : \____

>> ____/ Peter Köhlmann on Tuesday 20 November 2007 09:34 : \____

>>> Which is not yet ready anytime soon
>>
>> True, but it's maturing, so there's hope and expectation.
>
> It won't be long, which will be good for ATI and very very good for
> people with non x86 machines who'd like some openGL.
>

>> BTW, it made me chuckle earlier when I found an analyst (everyone, bow for
>> the almighty analysts!!11) who said that NVIDIA ought to buy AMD.
>>

> Mmmmmm, not sure how that would help nVidia.  Apart from buying them to
> kill them, there is no clear reason, and as they're owned by AMD anyway,
> you'd have to buy all of AMD, not just ATI.

The FTC would never approve it (unless Microsoft got involved and
bribed/prodded all its insiders in government, as it usually does). Anyway, it
was Eric Savitz who mentioned this predication and had a little fun with it as
well. _Anal_ysts, as the name suggests, sometimes speak out of their behinds.
Stock symbols and numbers are not enough to make market predictions which
involve technology.

Microsoft loves competition.
"I’m thinking of hitting the OEMs harder than in the past with anti-Linux. ...
they should do a delicate dance"
                --Joachim Kempin, Microsoft OEM Chief