Re: [News] 'Father of UNIX' Goes Open Source, Grid OS Revealed

Verily I say unto thee, that thad05@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx spake thusly:
> [H]omer <spam@xxxxxxx> wrote:

>> If you disagree with the author so strongly, then by all means
>> contact him and complain, but don't shoot the messenger.
>
> I believe the official lore is that Unix was so named because it was
> a 'castrated version of Multics'.

Yes, indeed I believe it was originally called Unics.

> It was written from scratch, was much smaller and less featurefull,
> but borrowed concepts from Multics.  Perhaps Multics is better
> described as a 'godparent' of Unix.

I'm not arguing about it one way or another, and indeed I haven't even
stated an opinion on the matter, until now.

I think one might say that Multics is the /spiritual/ forebear of Unix,
if not a literal parent. I certainly don't see a problem with anyone
using the term "Father of Unix" as a description, except for extremely
pedantic types, any more than I'd have a problem with someone describing
Minix as the "Father of Linux", or VMS as the "Father of Windows NT".

--
K.
http://slated.org

.----
| "[Microsoft] are willing to lose money for years and years just to
|  make sure that you don't make any money, either." - Bob Cringely.
|  - http://blog.businessofsoftware.org/2007/07/cringely-the-un.html
`----

Fedora release 7 (Moonshine) on sky, running kernel 2.6.22.9-91.fc7
 07:14:47 up 4 days,  4:08,  1 user,  load average: 0.41, 0.85, 0.79