Re: [News] [Rights] New Laws Used to Steal Freedoms Away

____/ Mark Kent on Saturday 10 November 2007 22:38 : \____

>> Talks Larry Lessig: How creativity is being strangled by the law
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>>| Larry Lessig gets TEDsters to their feet, whooping and whistling, following
>>| this elegant presentation of ?three stories and an argument.? The Net?s
>>| most adored lawyer brings together John Philip Sousa, celestial copyrights,
>>| and the ?ASCAP cartel? to build a case for creative freedom.
>> `----
>>
>> http://www.ted.com/talks/view/id/187
>
> Whooping and whistling?  Is this a nursery school?

"TEDsters to their feet, whooping and whistling"

I'm not sure about TEDsters and toddlers, but that ought to have suited an
audience of senators that think of the Internet as a bunch of tubes that pass
all kind of naughty-naughty messages about G W.

Either way, Lessig's achievements are tremendous. He's part of a broader
pictures that also includes Jimbo Wales. I don't just use Wikipedia a lot, but
I also use a lot of graphics (GPL or public domain) from Wiki Media. The
foundation for lots of this was laid by those who said, "who the heck needs to
assume that /everyone/ wants to retain all the rights rather than share a
little?" (as in peer production)

Look at the Internet. If legal sharing was not possible, we would be looking at
boring barebone pages, wouldn't we? Or just visit one among the 'major' sites
like CNN.com and MSBBC.co.uk

Roy S. Schestowitz      | "Computers are useless. They only solve problems"
 00:00:01 up 11 days,  4:11,  3 users,  load average: 0.53, 0.53, 0.83