Re: [News] It's the Freedom in Free Software (Not Money)

* Roy Schestowitz fired off this tart reply:

> http://www.raiden.net/?cat=2&aid=340
>
> It's not about saving money. It's about avoiding that spyware/lockin mechanisms
> that Microsoft has begun throwing around for free just to ensure future
> revenue (Office, suppression of competition, etc.).
>
> Linux is about control, choice, stability, security and many other things.
> Money is just somewhere at the bottom of the advantages worth listing.

That article makes a bigger point:

   If you're a standard citizen of the net, currently reading this
   page online in your favorite browser, then you're already liking
   paying a fee for that access.

   . . .

   So what am I getting at?  Well, I think the general point is, that
   even when it's completely free, there's still some tiny bit
   of cost involved in acquiring and using it, even if not a dime was
   directly exchanged for it.

   . . .

   PS: If you haven't donated to a FOSS project or any sites that
   promote Linux and open source lately, please do.  It's your
   donations that make the freedom they provide you possible.  Without
   you, they're just empty bits of data floating around the vast
   ether of the internet.

--
Tux rox!