Re: Microsoft struggling to convince about Vista

> ____/ Kier on Friday 23 November 2007 22:54 : \____
>> On Fri, 23 Nov 2007 10:22:26 -0800, Jim Richardson wrote:

>>> yeah! those folks don't need jobs after all. Let 'em starve.

Slavery is not a "job", as you put it.

>>> One thing I *never* see in these "burn the sweatshops" whines is
>>> anyone asking the workers what *they* think.

You mean you need to /ask/ if a child wants to be sold into slavery?

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=19gUiVcE49E

And this travesty is not restricted to just children. You demand
testimonies as proof?: http://uk.youtube.com/user/nlcnet

Translations available here: http://www.nlcnet.org

So far you demonstrated that you're a Global Warming denialist, and now
a Slave Labour denialist.

Want to go for the hat trick and deny the Holocaust as well?

>> They're probably glad of the work

I'm sure.

I'm not so sure that they're glad of being essentially kidnapped,
beaten, humiliated, restricted to when they may use the toilet,
subjected to inhuman living conditions, and suffering from extremely
poor health ... all for a pittance that is probably less than they'd
make begging on the streets. Not that they ever see much of that
pittance, (assuming it is paid in a timely fashion, if at all), since by
all accounts most of it is sent home to feed those who sold them into
slavery in the first place.

I would imagine the thing these poor souls are most glad of, is death.

>> The answer is to improve the conditions and pay - gradually

The answer is to take affirmative action against companies and countries
that support slavery, whilst providing aid for the victims, in the form
of both immediate relief and a sustainable infrastructure.

>> if necessary

If necessary?

>> The workers will be happier and will have more money to contribute
>> to the local economy by buying goods

A far better way to contribute to the local economy, is to help
establish a sustainable local industry, that keeps the wealth of that
economy /local/, rather than allow western companies to suck resources
out of it  - for a pittance that contributes almost nothing to anyone
... except the bankroll of those western companies.

>> rather than simply having enough money to buy food to keep
>> themselves alive, and thereby help to create more jobs.

The insignificant amount that these companies allow to flow /into/ the
countries they exploit, is just enough to perpetuate the slave labour
problem, but contributes little to creating an autonomous economy that
sustains employment independent of those companies. They are motivated
only by cheap labour, and do nothing to solve the long term problems ...
indeed they exacerbate and prolong them.

> There's also the ability to control the distribution of wealth, which
> sadly enough is controlled by the very same people who want to favour
> themselves the most. It's the fox-henhouse situation.

Those same people are invariably subject to laws in so-called civilised
society, that apparently does nothing to prohibit their abuses. If these
countries were to practice the principles that they preach, they'd
rescue the "chickens" and shoot the "fox".

--
K.
http://slated.org

.----
| "[Microsoft] are willing to lose money for years and years just to
|  make sure that you don't make any money, either." - Bob Cringely.
|  - http://blog.businessofsoftware.org/2007/07/cringely-the-un.html
`----

Fedora release 7 (Moonshine) on sky, running kernel 2.6.22.9-91.fc7
 13:17:13 up 12 days, 10:10,  2 users,  load average: 4.82, 5.18, 5.03