[News] Op-ed: The Future is Free Open Source Smartphones

  • Subject: [News] Op-ed: The Future is Free Open Source Smartphones
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 22 Nov 2007 06:06:14 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Open Mobile SDKs March to Freedom

,----[ Quote ]
| News Analysis: Open mobile platforms, such as Google's Android, should usher
| in a tidal wave of development that could change the industry.

Google's platform is actually open, unlike this new thing:

Testing Technologies Supports Open Source Community

,----[ Quote ]
| Testing Technologies says, its flagship product — the integrated TTCN-3 test
| development and execution environment TTworkbench — is based on an open
| source tool itself, the well proven Eclipse platform.
`----

http://opensourcepbx.tmcnet.com/topics/development-tools/articles/15145-testing-technologies-supports-open-source-community.htm
http://tinyurl.com/34wesk

Supporting open source with freeware? And calling it open source because
Eclipse is involved?

Related:

A developer's perspective on Google's Android SDK

,----[ Quote ]
| This in-depth, hands-on article introduces Android, Google's Linux/Java
| mobile phone SDK (software development kit). After a tour of Android's tools,
| documentation, and code samples, it suggests a path for further exploration
| and concludes with a simple applet showing the power and simplicity of the
| Android environment.

iPhone matures the "free your phone" movement

,----[ Quote ]
| This is why FreeTheIPhone.org project is born, but even better, why OpenMoko
| project exists. While some are trying to free the locked down device, others
| are creating a free unlocked device from the start, and a whole software
| framework to go with it.
`----

http://www.mobiliberty.com/iphone_matures_free_your_phone_movement

Linux Sees 'Astronomic' Growth in Mobile Devices

,----[ Quote ]
| "We were very aware that the growth in mobile for Linux was huge, but we
| didn't know it was so astronomic," Amanda McPherson, marketing director for
| the Linux Foundation, told LinuxInsider. "These are very encouraging
| numbers." Why Linux has drawn significant support from the community of
| handset manufacturers can be explained on several fronts, McPherson said.

Google Android dev kit exposes Apple-inspired roots

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/07/11/12/google_android_dev_kit_exposes_apple_inspired_roots.html