[News] [Rival] iPhone Promotional Hype Becomes a Turnoff

  • Subject: [News] [Rival] iPhone Promotional Hype Becomes a Turnoff
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 21 Nov 2007 20:35:31 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
The iPhone: I Don't Really Want One

,----[ Quote ]
| The first thing that makes me suspicious of this thing is the nature of the
| promotional hype. Most of the previews I have read espouse the circular logic
| that its main appeal is its desirability; apparently, as soon as I see one,
| I'll want one. And this diagonal leap of logic says as much about what Apple
| make and sell as it does about malleability of consumer desire.
`----

http://www.osnews.com/story.php/18959/The-iPhone-I-Dont-Really-Want-One/

Related:

Commentary: Why you should avoid the iPhone

,----[ Quote ]
| So, if I were you, I'd resist the temptation to get an iPhone. Just for a few
| more months. You'll be glad you did. You never know what's around the corner,
| but I bet it'll be worth the wait.
`----

http://www.cnn.com/2007/TECH/11/15/iphone.launch/index.html

Apple to Brick Modded iPhones, Apple Boycott?

,----[ Quote ]
| While community reaction is generally negative, one blogger suggests sending
| an even stronger message to Apple by boycotting Apple on October 1.
`----

http://www.osnews.com/story.php/18681/Apple-to-Brick-Modded-iPhones-Apple-Boycott/

iPhone matures the "free your phone" movement

,----[ Quote ]
| This is why FreeTheIPhone.org project is born, but even better, why OpenMoko
| project exists. While some are trying to free the locked down device, others
| are creating a free unlocked device from the start, and a whole software
| framework to go with it.
`----

http://www.mobiliberty.com/iphone_matures_free_your_phone_movement

Linux Sees 'Astronomic' Growth in Mobile Devices

,----[ Quote ]
| "We were very aware that the growth in mobile for Linux was huge, but we
| didn't know it was so astronomic," Amanda McPherson, marketing director for
| the Linux Foundation, told LinuxInsider. "These are very encouraging
| numbers." Why Linux has drawn significant support from the community of
| handset manufacturers can be explained on several fronts, McPherson said.

Google Android dev kit exposes Apple-inspired roots

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/07/11/12/google_android_dev_kit_exposes_apple_inspired_roots.html