Re: [News] Eric Raymond secretly dumps Linspire

After takin' a swig o' grog, Doug Mentohl belched out this bit o' wisdom:

> [H]omer wrote:
>
>> Still, it does seem odd that he kept this so quiet, knowing as we do what a motormouth he is. Maybe Sweaty gave him a Ferrari laptop as a leaving "gift".
>
> How did he attempt to keep it quite, by emailing Steven J.
> Vaughan-Nichols and the editors of Linuxtoday.com .. :)
> -------
>
> # From: esr thyrsus com (Eric S. Raymond)
> # To: fedora-devel-list redhat com
> # Cc: lwn lwn net, editors newsforge com, sjvn vna1 com, editors
> linuxtoday com
>
> "After thirteen years as a loyal Red Hat and Fedora user, I reached my
> limit today"
>
> "Fedora, you had every advantage, and you had my loyalty, and you blew
> it. And that is a damn, dirty shame"
>
> http://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-devel-list/2007-February/msg01006.html

Some of the followups are funny:

   http://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-devel-list/2007-February/msg01010.html

   *Sigh*

   - Gilboa "Thankfully my cable provider doesn't charge me for extra
   bandwidth because this is gonna get very ugly, very fast... kinda
   like the ESR's previous drive by posting" Davara.

   http://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-devel-list/2007-February/msg01009.html

            +-------------------+             .:\:\:/:/:.
            +-------------------+             /         \
                    |  |        @@@          / /|,,,,,|\ \
                    |  |        @@@         /_//  /^\  \\_\
      @x@@x@        |  |         |/         WW(  (   )  )WW
      \||||/        |  |        \|           __\,,\ /,,/__
       \||/         |  |         |          (______Y______)
   /\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\//\/\\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\

   http://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-devel-list/2007-February/msg01011.html

   What I appreciate in Fedora is the SELinux integration and all the
   patches that get applied to the kernels.  The kernel expertise at
   Redhat is fantastic.

   http://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-devel-list/2007-February/msg01012.html

   I think you threw away the FOSS philosophies that Fedora applied for
   a benefit of patented codecs and popularity. IMHO, Linspire/Canonical
   means Canonical is seeking a way to earn moneys with the inclusion of
   patented codecs on their free distribution. Have you eared the term
   "victim of its own success"? There will be a price to pay.

   http://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-devel-list/2007-February/msg01014.html

   I don't think we should entirely absolve the wielder of the rm
   machete from blame even if he didn't ask to be swinging it about.

   http://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-devel-list/2007-February/msg01016.html

   [ a vast amount of crap (as usual) deleted]

   Don't let the door hit you on the way out.

   http://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-devel-list/2007-February/msg01018.html

   Without details it is hardly possible to comment on it. But pointing
   out
   the following should be allowed:

   The Fedora Extras 6 repository currently is free of broken
   dependencies.

   The Fedora Extras 5 repository contains a single broken package that
   is broken for 131 days (linphone).

Although ESR wrote a generally fine book in "The Art of UNIX
Programming", I think he is somewhat of an asshole and, as Roy notes, a
drama queen.

--
Tux rox!