Re: [News] Ashley Highfield (of MSBBC Infamy) Slammed for Supporting the Microsoft Scam

____/ [H]omer on Wednesday 31 October 2007 20:16 : \____

>> BBC on the iPlayer
>
> .----
> | The problem at the moment, there is no open source DRM. It’s almost
> | a contradiction in terms, if you have DRM how can you have it open
> | source? Because open source people will be able to find out how it
> | works and get round it.
> `----
>
> I can't figure out if Highfield is lying, or really that stupid.
>
> Here's a challenge for him...
>
> Here's the source to GPG:
> ftp://ftp.gnupg.org/gcrypt/gnupg/gnupg-1.4.7.tar.bz2
>
> Here's the public GPG key I use for various things on my Website:
> http://slated.org/files/GPG-KEY-SLATED.asc
>
> Now use these two things together, and any other resources you need, to
> decrypt the following message. Then come back and explain exactly how
> open source precludes DRM security and facilitates cracking?
>
> I'll be waiting.
>
> -----BEGIN PGP MESSAGE-----
> Version: GnuPG v1.4.7 (GNU/Linux)
>
> hQQOA18Su0lu6wAlEBAAgvbIUe4sODPSdKJhIg+fbKcAxKC55zMS2M/VK1bdYXom
> FjJdKLK49xAOa4XCvcsrtGeOskK6E32e+x/P/S/yAyjHltNCVer/04dAMKgTHTma
> VYB72nDUStQ8rfhpuOl0jrgrObZe0pQjKwpuo2fAQ1fCU++BYw4QmMi0GaKDU3mC
> ApefyXoWpkiBU2XIkacGt4Oq/563miewVFXUkLGhNb0CwCsvdBJkFQEXbFGZP5Hp
> MdUxPOGU0Vdj1s636hm60AQ1yRI0xBz/b0V3l97wKOOI8jczte23fgWDZwqwzfwW
> 7i6DLu6GboB5fgnh2TPCzDJ1p82+rERKdFyHHkqkD41RN0UjywAlqWPdLqyUYRTW
> mAVgzUi++9e/jWJI8FCkcohqsnDT3vvN5FSQhlRVMvqX82hOznwG9L5OKUfr+oXl
> ipS7kNPkP0E7wj0Hq30+pQhxMa46dVbUQbcNHcD4an219kMKnt0x4ZSSO7RZR9jA
> Gv2VZrezBCj9N5QigSsT8H5Ez0+tQXZfFQd56yll2bG0ppv153aHIPexpBbCNTn8
> 8r8WTM4TnyL3jd5zK2wI6WDErfWYz82hKyqLrU6/OxtLe5rfjWXL2QpV4YZk+cl3
> Dxwk8Ljkn2G2yZc1VngqFCLAs7kSS4HTUKoqTZvBzNRDWYqYWpIBY5hT7d9U72gQ
> AJBC0bZ4LvF4+TaBwRQqOdxdb7w6zy/U5UElwrchCQAUEzdvGJuZ92L7PU0+cJ84
> mNOUdH2Z/o0zoIWxIhcCU31jy7JLMIZ/yw57rUDggKHU0sCOraW165oPudyQgQN1
> WWptvVs2hvRXqMWT1dPl7MKf9Wvp75yLISfpwH475PdVNxjBFTVLHkg4QWaJdfmU
> v3RL5yKUp2+Ha32zyz4/quOHKCKclnqy9CHna8qCNAlIbUJr5A0KgGm6Cm2+9BOq
> Cm315UiH5Qw1WJP2oickpiZjpmpDfeK3lX3LVvknbvkm7s8ngnTwW3JzOBPGs6iM
> Nvwf3Yxcb5HyTILyiXax4RgAYSJummALaujnuqXPwu9rzWnL52GHgtyHe1oKDgA8
> SIa3t4b6UeBtWeXyggRhkHuG6oNNPpF7/kEoLYgwerxOIH1yakszm5MGL79u4aKW
> Py4O4YVuv5pX/Gso23P40/vET9obS/4xn+KW7NErQSkhyTxkS+O4Uj7UKjH9xQlq
> SX1VQMGMnMmrfM0zsWLBtTu7I23FMoWG6G/vB0YovQEVI5Rcm2mwpxeQHnEEsuhh
> VojZeidaB1tot/4HIGRs+3z/WKYKR6PL3e5X52hXkBKmsnlQm4EciP8PZnrG/e39
> /rAyS4irSPH14ijxDdoxwuIgZWTOoHEZnamKDLZoKTGe0q8BedWRpSCbqX86Lm2Z
> cPiPJGJMJBSZuzOQSxDy76aSRYrNjvROpl/k6G0aWu7s+9EBXs91Lf672DwETJWG
> NlhmfG7HBI96aygktbANxRHrrf/ZffFh8iOjo3ijoXagaYDSTk0P9GxAcbnAafrQ
> s4VwglTtVoCOnj1OKUIJAuXvo2KMALBob9Q3CIWK+JE3nlEz4OJtlOLfWsLkQjN6
> 6WzsEMr3VacekKdlb9t+uiKH
> =si8Q
> -----END PGP MESSAGE-----
>

> Meanwhile, he should read this:
>
> .----
> | THE FEDERAL COMMUNICATIONS COMMISSION APPROVES REALNETWORKS HELIX
> | DRM FOR BROADCAST FLAG USE

> [...]

Ashley Highfield appears to be prejudiced towards Free software. Spotted a
short moment ago:

    * BBC 'not in bed with Bill Gates' over iPlayer
    * 11:40AM October 10/31/07, 2007
    * And as for the battle with the Open Source Consortium? "The 12 people who
demonstrated outside our offices have every right to demonstrate," says
Ashfield. "But I think 'the 12 people' says it all."

      Highfield used the numbers of non-Windows users visiting bbc.co.uk as
justification for the corporation's XP-only release. "We have 17.1 million
users of bbc.co.uk in the UK and, as far as our server logs can make out, 5
per cent of those [use Macs] and around 400 to 600 are Linux users."
      [PJ: If you design your website to work well only for one operating
system, chances are that is who will visit your website. Perhaps those of you
who live in the UK and use other operating systems may wish to inform him of
your interest. Politely, of course. Imagine if we all pay taxes, but our taxes
don't provide us services unless we as a group are sufficiently numerous.] -
Tech.co.uk

http://www.groklaw.net/newsitems.php

Groklaw has begun watching the MSBBC's fiaSCO more closely.

Roy S. Schestowitz      | Data lacking semantics is currency in an island
 23:20:02 up 1 day,  3:31,  3 users,  load average: 0.69, 1.05, 1.34