Re: Roy the hypocrite

____/ The Ghost In The Machine on Wednesday 31 October 2007 20:04 : \____

> In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Tim Smith
> <reply_in_group@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>  wrote
> on Wed, 31 Oct 2007 13:58:16 -0500
> <reply_in_group-460083.13581631102007@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
>> In article <28qmv4-ht4.ln1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
>>  The Ghost In The Machine <ewill@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> [Tim Smith wrote]

>>> Maybe, but then I have a question for you: who determines
>>> what is a quality post?
>>>
>>> [a] Roy Schestowitz?
>>>
>>> [b] An impartial group of neutral observers?  (Good luck
>>>     finding one, at this point.)
>>>
>>> [c] A self-selected group of COLA lurkers?
>>>
>>> [d] Denizens of alt.flame, alt.os.windows, alt.24hrsupport,
>>>     or alt.2600, to which COLA messages are occasionally
>>>     cross-posted?
>>>
>>> [e] Microsoft?
>>
>> Generally, pretty much all of those proposed arbiters would find that
>> posts that are proofread and checked by the poster would tend to be
>> higher quality.
>
> You can speak for all of them, then?  :-P  Still,
> self-proofreading is an important first step for many
> writing assignments -- software code and posts among them.
>
> Unfortunately, that doesn't quite answer my question,
> since while you've established [a] as a *necessary*
> condition for quality posting, you've not yet indicated
> whether you deem it *sufficient*.
>
> (For example, it is necessary that a car have fuel in
> order to go somewhere, but not sufficient; one must also
> have air, a roadway, a proper ignition key, and in some
> cases money and gas stations to refuel along the way,
> depending on distance.  Depending on level of detail
> and circumstances, one can also add "working battery",
> "working fuel system", "working electrical system",
> "properly inflated tires", "properly adjusted headlamps",
> "debris-free roadway", "good weather", "proper licensing",
> etc.)

I proofread properly and rewrite bits if I write papers or articles. These
are /discussions/. It's like instant messaging. We exchange knowledge, which
we can later apply when we write technical things that are more accurate.
Let's not pretend that c.o.l.a. produces ~10,000 high-quality 'articles' per
month. It's about exchange of information, a discussion...

>> Sure, some people who proofread and check their
>> posts produce low quality posts, but at least there's
>> a chance they might not, and they are trying.  Roy's
>> mass-production approach *guarantees* that he won't
>> achieve quality.

Roy S. Schestowitz     | No Makefile, no business
Mem:    515500k total,   444532k used,    70968k free,     5560k buffers