Re: [News] ODF adoption booming

Erik Funkenbusch wrote:
High Plains Thumper wrote:

Sun hasn't committed to supporting ODF either? Erik is spouting his gobshite as usual:

http://www.sun.com/software/star/openoffice/index.xml

I don't see anywhere in that link where Sun guarantees they will completely conform to ODF, and continue to do so in perpetuity.

That's what ODF proponents are expecting from Microsoft. Why don't they hold Sun to the same standard for ODF?

[irrelevant quote tha has nothing to do with a formal statement of committment snipped]

Relevant redacted quote that has a lot to do with commitment
reinstated:

[quote] Sun ODF Plugin 1.1 for Microsoft Office Available
Now as a Free Download

Microsoft Office users can now import and export to Open
Document Format (ODF).

The Sun ODF Plugin for Microsoft Office gives users of
Microsoft Word, Excel and Powerpoint the ability to read,
edit and save to the ISO-standard Open Document Format. The
ODF Plugin is available as a free download from the Sun
Download Center (SDLC).

The Plugin is easy to setup and use, the conversion happens
transparently and the additional memory footprint is
minimal. Microsoft Office users now can have seamless
two-way conversion of Microsoft Office documents to and from
Open Document. The ODF Plugin runs on Microsoft Windows and
is available in 17 different languages. [/quote]

The fact that Sun created an ODF plugin for Microsoft is an indication of its commitment. OTOH, Microsoft has shown its usual anticompetitive behaviour:

http://fussnotes.typepad.com/plexnex/2007/08/microsoft-break.html

[quote]
Sun is having trouble because Microsoft is breaking interoperability deliberately through hi-jinks with the Dynamic-Link Libraries ("dll") in Windows.