[News] InfoWorld Report on Moving to Linux, Forbes on Cutting the Bill with GNU/Linux

  • Subject: [News] InfoWorld Report on Moving to Linux, Forbes on Cutting the Bill with GNU/Linux
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 31 Oct 2007 08:45:20 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
The great desktop switch: From Windows to Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| Windows to LinuxWho has the time to get all geeky with Linux on the desktop?
| We do. And as you'll see in this complete guide, it's not as hard as you
| think.
`----

http://www.infoworld.com/archives/t.jsp?N=s&V=92758

Cut Your Tech Bills

,----[ Quote ]
| Try Online And Open-Source Alternatives
|
| Open-source software is a beautiful thing. The Linux operating system can do
| some pretty complicated stuff--just ask Google--reliably. But two things it's
| not: It's not always free (as in free beer), and it's not always easy.
| Companies like Red Hat make big money dishing up Linux to major corporations.
| And while Linux can easily master big jobs, proprietary code means that it
| doesn't always work with movies, music and peripherals as smoothly on the
| desktop as the alternatives.
|
| Luckily, open source is a much bigger phenomenon than just Linux. And it can
| even be a hassle-free alternative to pricey, proprietary applications,
| regardless of your budget.
`----

http://www.forbes.com/home/technology/2007/10/30/technology-savings-tricks-technology-cx_bc_1030techsave.html

That will be a recurring discussion because many applications move to the Web
(see example below), rendering all that Windows-only legacy irrelevant and
moot.

Related:

FAA May Ditch Microsoft's Windows Vista And Office For Google And Linux Combo

,----[ Quote ]
| Bowen said he's in talks with the aviation safety agency's main
| hardware supplier, Dell Computer, to determine if it could
| deliver Linux-based computers capable of accessing Google
| Apps through a non-Microsoft browser once the FAA's XP-based
| computers pass their shelf life.
`----

http://www.informationweek.com/news/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=197800480

Can Google and Linux Topple Microsoft?