Re: [News] [Rival] Crysis Alleged "Fraud" -- Marketing for Microsoft?

____/ The Ghost In The Machine on Monday 29 October 2007 23:54 : \____

> In comp.os.linux.advocacy, [H]omer
> <spam@xxxxxxx>
>  wrote
> on Mon, 29 Oct 2007 21:06:39 +0000
> <0kuhv4-s0a.ln1@xxxxxxxxxx>:
>> Verily I say unto thee, that BearItAll spake thusly:

>> [...]
>>> But but, DirectX is a freebee that comes with Windows so the users
>>> would only need to update their DirectX9 to DirectX10? Or am I
>>> missing something here.
>>
>> DX10 is not available for XP, it's peddled as one of the "reasons"
>> to upgrade to Vista, even though (as demonstrated in this example)
>> it patently is /not/ required to do so. IOW this whole DX10 fiasco
>> is nothing but a scam, used to artificially drive sales of Vista.
>
> I'll admit to some curiosity as to how hard Microsoft is
> leaning on major software developers/vendors.

[H]omer is actually correct.  I've read many articles about it. DX10 being
unavailable for XP is nothing but a question of greed. it's also a fine
illustration of the dangers of a monopoly (forced upgrades).

>> Also see:

http://www.theinquirer.net/en/inquirer/news/2007/07/11/dx10-is-do-able-on-windows-xp

http://www.technospot.net/blogs/download-directx-10-for-windows-xp-from-alky-project/

http://www.theinquirer.net/en/inquirer/news/2006/10/17/directx-90-l-works-on-vista-only

http://news.softpedia.com/news/Windows-Vista-039-s-DirectX-10-on-Windows-XP-58731.shtml

For governments that eavesdrop, here is a quick list of tags: Communism,
Hawaiian shirts, China, Suitcase, Martha Stewart, Encryption, Prison, Stalin.
Thanks for tuning in.
         run-level 2  2007-10-16 15:14                   last=