Re: [News] Two More Steps Towards Freedom: GNU Classpath and Open/Free BIOS

Roy Schestowitz wrote:

> LinuxBIOS Brings Clones One Step Closer to Freedom
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | Even if you don't care about the openness of your system BIOS, you might
> | be concerned about its inflexibility and legacy baggage. The x86 BIOS
> | still thinks it's supporting MS-DOS and performs a number of tasks, such
> | as probing hardware and loading drivers, that modern operating systems
> | (including Linux and Windows) now handle better, faster and with a lot
> | more flexibility and user control. This can take 30-50 seconds. The
> | operating system ignores what the BIOS does and then re-runs the same
> | tasks. Newer PCs shortcut this with the "fast boot" setting, which skips
> | most of the usual steps and gets to a boot prompt in about ten seconds.
> `----
>
> http://www.enterprisenetworkingplanet.com/nethub/article.php/3706881

Roy,

I really appreciate this posting. I'd probably have missed it on my own.
This is really some fantastic news as I have wondered why the post on most
new computers still takes as long as it did during the old days.

I've got a new amd64x2 that takes as long to post as an old 550Mhz k6 that I
have also. It's a hopeful move, LinuxBios is the right way to go.

--

Jerry McBride