Re: [News] IBM Finally Puts Its Weight Behind OpenOffice.org, Funny Business in ISO (IM$O)

After takin' a swig o' grog, Erik Funkenbusch belched out this bit o' wisdom:

> On Mon, 10 Sep 2007 12:23:37 +0100, Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>
>> IBM Joins OpenOffice.org Community
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>>| The OpenOffice.org community today announced that IBM will be joining the
>>| community to collaborate on the development of OpenOffice.org software. IBM
>>| will be making initial code contributions that it has been developing as part
>>| of its Lotus Notes product, including accessibility enhancements, and will be
>>| making ongoing contributions to the feature richness and code quality of
>>| OpenOffice.org.
>> `----
>>
>> http://www.prweb.com/releases/openoffice.org/IBM/prweb552157.htm
>
> The first thing that comes to mind here is "IBM can't get ODF support to
> work correctly in it's products, so it's forced to re-engineer it's
> solutions to be based on OpenOffice"
>
> That may or may not be true, but that's the impression I get.  IBM has
> several office suite code bases.  Why would it add OpenOffice to it's
> already confused offerings?  The only possible explanation I can think of
> is IBM deciding to co-opt OOo and use it as a basis for it's future
> products.  And the only reason to do that is because they can't get their
> existing products to do what they want.

As we've come to expect, Erik, your thinking is shallow.  Co-opt?  Crazy
talk!  Cloud talk!

Only reason being they can't get their existing products to do it?  What
about these other possible reasons?

   o  Gain new customers

   o  Respond to demand from old customers

   o  Transition to a unified platform or code base

   o  Cooperation or a deal with Sun?

   o  The reasons IBM states in the URL you provide.

You're so quick to FUD, it clouds your thinking.

For what it is worth, though, you're not nearly so bad about this as
DFS.  At least you try to come up with credible reasons much of the
time.

--
Tux rox!