Re: IBM joins the OpenOffice.org community

On Mon, 10 Sep 2007 15:14:25 +0100, Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

>____/ Peter Köhlmann on Monday 10 September 2007 14:45 : \____
>
>> Linonut wrote:
>>
>>> After takin' a swig o' grog, Peter Köhlmann belched out this bit o'
>>> wisdom:

>>> With luck, IBM will be able to keep Sun focussed on ODF support.
>>>
>>> As you know, according to our resident FUDster, Sun is in total control
>>> of ODF, after all.
>>
>> Yes, good that this conspiracy has been shown early, right?
>> Just imagine what would happen when Sun changes the rules after all have
>> adopted ODF. The horror. World domination would be the result
>>
>>> And now IBM and Sun will try their anti-competitive tricks on poor
>>> little ol' Microsoft.
>>
>> A real shame how everyone tramples on that innocent, innovative company,
>> isn't it?
>>
>> Just imagine: They released 6000 pages of high quality description for their
>> OOXML standard. Compare that to the measly few pages of ODF. Isn't it a
>> ripoff by Sun and the other ODF supporters?
>
>I wasn't sure how big a news story this was. IBM has been quietly (now
>officially) supporting OOo for quite some time. It's not just Lotus.

This looks pretty big to me. IBM is a company not to be underestimated.
..I would say that this is a real blow to Microsoft's office campaign.
Once IBM gets behind Open Office, a lot of people will be taking a look.