Re: [News] October Releases: Next-generation Linux-based GP2X Now Confirmed, Palm to Fight Back with Linux

> ____/ Mark Kent on Tuesday 04 September 2007 18:43 : \____

>>> ____/ Mark Kent on Tuesday 04 September 2007 11:28 : \____

> http://www.engadget.com/2007/08/24/gamepark-holdings-gp2x-f-200-coming-in-october/

>>> Why? What's the maximum size? Old Palms could handle 2 and 4 gigs. There are
>>> now some SDs that can contain 16 GB, IIRC. For gaming, that's _a lot_, esp.
>>> retro.
>>>

>> The current generation machines can handle up to 4Gig cards, but *not*
>> the high-capacity format ones.  There is a new kernel out which apparently
>> can do it, but I've not tried it.  The reason for wanting the storage is
>> that the GP2X is far more than a gaming platform, it's also a book reader,
>> mp3 and video player, general computer, and pretty much anything else you
>> want it to be.  On the lads' last trip (to my parents in Yorkshire) they
>> took all of Blake's 7 third series, a couple of films, several books,
>> a shedload of iron maiden (no1 son is major fan) and a lot of other
>> music, as well as many games, including frozen bubble, vektar, duke3D,
>> and superTux (which also runs on my N800 and I'm quite enamoured of).
>> Oh yeah, and the gameboy emulator and a few roms, and a few asimov ebooks.
>> And some MP3s of a couple of audiobooks, too.
>>
>> Having said that, they didn't run out of storage, but even so, it's
>> always nice to have more :-)
>
> When kids buy a Nintendo DS or one of the other handheld consoles, the parents
> spend a fortune on games. It's nice to see that the GP2X is not only
> inexpensive when you buy it, but you also get /heaps/ of programs and content
> to play with (Sony and Nintendo hopped on the 'DRM train' for handheld
> content).

This is why I like the PS3 so much, it was designed from the ground up
to be able to run Linux, so there's always going to be a load of things
you can do with it, even if the games are on the expensive side.

Anyway, the GP2X is a great machine, and coupled with the IO device, you
can plug in external keyboards, monitors/TVs and so on, as well as
external storage and the like, such as USB hard-drives and so on.