Re: [News] October Releases: Next-generation Linux-based GP2X Now Confirmed, Palm to Fight Back with Linux

____/ Mark Kent on Tuesday 04 September 2007 18:43 : \____

http://www.engadget.com/2007/08/24/gamepark-holdings-gp2x-f-200-coming-in-october/

>>> Hmmm, I can see my kids being very interested in this...  the
>>> touchscreen is a really good, err, touch, and the capability to read
>>> larger SD cards would be very valuable.
>>
>> Why? What's the maximum size? Old Palms could handle 2 and 4 gigs. There are
>> now some SDs that can contain 16 GB, IIRC. For gaming, that's _a lot_, esp.
>> retro.
>>

> The current generation machines can handle up to 4Gig cards, but *not*
> the high-capacity format ones.  There is a new kernel out which apparently
> can do it, but I've not tried it.  The reason for wanting the storage is
> that the GP2X is far more than a gaming platform, it's also a book reader,
> mp3 and video player, general computer, and pretty much anything else you
> want it to be.  On the lads' last trip (to my parents in Yorkshire) they
> took all of Blake's 7 third series, a couple of films, several books,
> a shedload of iron maiden (no1 son is major fan) and a lot of other
> music, as well as many games, including frozen bubble, vektar, duke3D,
> and superTux (which also runs on my N800 and I'm quite enamoured of).
> Oh yeah, and the gameboy emulator and a few roms, and a few asimov ebooks.
> And some MP3s of a couple of audiobooks, too.
>
> Having said that, they didn't run out of storage, but even so, it's
> always nice to have more :-)

When kids buy a Nintendo DS or one of the other handheld consoles, the parents
spend a fortune on games. It's nice to see that the GP2X is not only
inexpensive when you buy it, but you also get /heaps/ of programs and content
to play with (Sony and Nintendo hopped on the 'DRM train' for handheld
content).

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    Community is code, code is community
Swap:  1510068k total,   554308k used,   955760k free,    55624k cached