Re: [News] October Releases: Next-generation Linux-based GP2X Now Confirmed, Palm to Fight Back with Linux

> ____/ Mark Kent on Tuesday 04 September 2007 11:28 : \____

>>> GamePark Holdings' GP2X F-200 coming in October
>>>
>>> ,----[ Quote ]
>>> `----
>>>

> http://www.engadget.com/2007/08/24/gamepark-holdings-gp2x-f-200-coming-in-october/
>>>
>>> Ed Colligan, Palm's CEO, looks determined to fight for a position in the
>>> multimedia smartphone market.
>>
>> Hmmm, I can see my kids being very interested in this...  the
>> touchscreen is a really good, err, touch, and the capability to read
>> larger SD cards would be very valuable.
>
> Why? What's the maximum size? Old Palms could handle 2 and 4 gigs. There are
> now some SDs that can contain 16 GB, IIRC. For gaming, that's _a lot_, esp.
> retro.

The current generation machines can handle up to 4Gig cards, but *not*
the high-capacity format ones.  There is a new kernel out which apparently
can do it, but I've not tried it.  The reason for wanting the storage is
that the GP2X is far more than a gaming platform, it's also a book reader,
mp3 and video player, general computer, and pretty much anything else you
want it to be.  On the lads' last trip (to my parents in Yorkshire) they
took all of Blake's 7 third series, a couple of films, several books,
a shedload of iron maiden (no1 son is major fan) and a lot of other
music, as well as many games, including frozen bubble, vektar, duke3D,
and superTux (which also runs on my N800 and I'm quite enamoured of).
Oh yeah, and the gameboy emulator and a few roms, and a few asimov ebooks.
And some MP3s of a couple of audiobooks, too.

Having said that, they didn't run out of storage, but even so, it's
always nice to have more :-)