[News] [Rival] OOXML Seems to be Dying in ISO (Too Many "No" Votes)

  • Subject: [News] [Rival] OOXML Seems to be Dying in ISO (Too Many "No" Votes)
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 04 Sep 2007 13:20:41 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=07/09/03/1934203&from=rss

"If most or all of those additional 'P' members vote 'yes' as expected, it will
confirm suspicions that Microsoft has promoted extra votes in favor of OOXML
not only within National Bodies, but within ISO itself."

My math-fu tells me OOXML has not passed JTC-1

,----[ Quote ]
| Various websites around the world are all busy tallying the votes as the news
| is dripping in. If their tally is correct then OOXML has been turned down by
| a very narrow margin.

Tracking the status of Office Open XML

,----[ Quote ]
| UPDATE: OOXML has failed!
`----

http://balanceofcowards.blogspot.com/2007/08/tracking-status-of-office-open-xml.html

Forecast: ISO Will Announce on Tuesday that OOXML Approval has Failed

,----[ Quote ]
| So there we are.  It's been a long hard road, and we are from the end of it
| yet.  But this was a crucial, "must have" result, and I think that all of
| those that have labored so hard for so long to prevent a second rubber stamp
| of the OOXML specification should take a moment to feel good about what they
| have accomplished.  If OOXML is ever to become an official ISO/IEC standard,
| it is far more likely now than before that it will be worthy of that name.
|
| Congratulations - and thanks - to all.
`----

http://www.consortiuminfo.org/standardsblog/article.php?story=2007090315253367

The press is behind (slow), as usual, and does the marketing thing for
Microsoft...

http://www.iht.com/articles/2007/09/03/business/msft.php