Re: [News] Sun Believes It Can Steal the Thunder from Linux

BearItAll <spam@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>

>> Related:
>>
>> Sun's 'Project Copy Linux' not a Linux copy
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | Murdock also refused to talk about Sun's FISHworks project – billed as a
>> | NetApp killer.
>> |
>> | Sun has put some of its top Solaris engineers in charge of a
>> | software/hardware effort meant to create a solid network attached
>> | storage (NAS) appliance. The company demoed this project to analysts
>> | early this year, although it refuses to give reporters the same honor.
>> |
>> | We did track down Adam Levanthal, one of the FISHworks leads and
>> | co-authors of DTrace, at OSCON. He revealed that the product should ship
>> | early next year and that it includes some special sauce above Solaris
>> | for handling storage.
>> |
>> | "I'm not going to talk to you about it more than that," he said, rather
>> | bluntly.
>> |
>> | Why not just slap us in the face?
>> `----
>>
>> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/07/29/sun_projectindiana_oscon/
>
> BSJ, Bloody Stupid Jernos. Ashley, it is normal practice that new ideas are
> ran by techies and analysts first. Even the best laid plans need input and
> comment from outside the development team at some point. Those comments
> could add some time to the development process, far too early to let the
> jernos in.
>
> The jernos can have access after it is ready.
>
> Linux teams often do exactly the same thing, as do electronic design teams,
> architechs, biologists, mathematicians, plumbers (doesn't all major work
> have to be inspected by an expert in your region? Thats how it works in the
> UK).

You are equating legally required certification with refusing to talk to
a Journalist?

Regardless, how  on earth are you equating "not talking to a journalist" with a
plumber? A "plumber" or "engineer"  will almost certainly submit plans
where the work he is doing is public domain. But they certainly don't
need to talk to Muriel at the corner shop about it.

> MS teams used to do this too, as far as I know they don't do it anymore,
> except I did get the invite, as many others did, pre-Vista (about a year
> before release), for input about the system security. I mentioned it
> in

LOL.

> this news group at the time, saying that I had decided I wasn't going to
> take part, one year to slap on some kind of security onto Vist, no thankyou
> mate, just give me something easy to do like a rubix cube.

So that's why it's so broken! Goddam it Bearitall, you could have made
all the difference....

You there, Peter in charge of a monkey's tea party, the analogies are
never ending ...