Re: EU antitrust power in balance on Microsoft decision

____/ Jerry McBride on Sunday 16 September 2007 01:00 : \____

> High Plains Thumper wrote:
>
>> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>>> High Plains Thumper on Saturday:

>>> Some research has shown that Europe will be better off
>>> (financially) if it develops its own Free software. The
>>> decision in Europe is very important because it's seen as
>>> somewhat of a benchmark to be used in the US, where states
>>> demand Microsoft supervision and oversight until 2012.
>>
>> Actually, the whole world will benefit.  Even the US had a
>> thriving software industry until the near monopoly monopolised
>> the office automation productivity software.  Most of those
>> companies and offices are no longer around.
>>
>> We have seen what happened when the near monopoly monopolised the
>> PC network system.  Many of those companies are no longer around.
>>
>> Now they are attempting to monopolise the server market.  This
>> and the related network competition lock-out are the essence of
>> EU punitive actions.  If the courts do not back their
>> commissioner's decisions, it will remove any teeth it has for
>> future decisions.
>>
>>> Novell, mind you, is on the bad side here. Microsoft is using
>>> Novell, again. As if OOXML and other nasties weren't enough
>>> use...
>>
>> We have seen the effects of "embrace, extend, extinguish".
>> OOXML's lack of adherence to standards makes it a poor model to
>> employ as a standard.  Remember, it is possible for even
>> Microsoft Office to be ODF compatible (until they broke it by
>> bypassing the ODF filter in Office 2007 during file opening,
>> rendering it useless).
>>

> Makes for great reading... It's hard to believe that there's an actual
> business in filling bittorrent with bogus files... Amazing.

New vids on Monday's decision. FWIW:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=arZgBFhMP5g
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XDLEN90KO14

Roy S. Schestowitz      | "Computers are useless. They only solve problems"
         run-level 2  2007-09-10 01:53                   last=