Re: PCLinuxOS Wins Out of the Box

____/ William Poaster on Sunday 30 September 2007 13:20 : \____

> Ron House wrote:
>
>> I have a Toshiba laptop on which I had installed last year's kubuntu. It
>> never allowed me to change the screen brightness, and the version of
>> nvidia driver available didn't either. I decided to upgrade all the
>> packages. It said: "A package needed by a package cannot be upgraded.
>> Upgrade cancelled."
>>
>> Which package? By which package? Who wrote that error message?
>>
>> So I decided to do a complete distro upgrade.
>>
>> Half way through, it said: "Problem in doing upgrade. Upgrade cancelled.
>> Warning: if you do not complete the upgrade, your computer will be
>> unstable". Only a cancel button on the popup, no continue button.
>>
>> It was unstable and the machine wouldn't boot. So much for user-friendly.
>>
>> I loaded PCLinuxOS. No screen brightness controls, sound was off (as if
>> spoken by a dalek), no wireless.
>>
>> I wiped it and did a fresh installation of the latest kubuntu. Still no
>> brightness controls, no sound, no wireless (and these last two worked
>> with last year's version!).
>>
>> Okay, wipe again, install the latest debian.
>>
>> Sound works, wireless works, screen horrible.
>>
>> Install nvidia proprietary drivers. Screen now okay, a utility is there
>> to control brightness (although there is still no way to get at the bios
>> brightness controls directly).
>>
>> Success with everything, including the commercial drivers - and from
>> Debian, not Ubuntu, not PCLinuxOS.
>
> Funny. I can adjust anything in "nvidia-settings" in my Kubuntu & PCLinuxOS
> installations. Admittedly they're on desktop machines & not laptops, but
> after using "nvidia-settings" the screen resolutions, brightness & refresh
> rates are fine.
>
>> And another thing, seeing that I mentioned ubuntu upgrade woes: Earlier
>> I had upgraded my debian desktop, and forgot to upgrade the kernel when
>> instructed, and then deleted over 1,000 packages (chosen at random) by
>> mistake. But I plugged on, upgraded the kernel, reloaded packages, and
>> turned sarge into etch without a hitch. There's a lot to be said for
>> boring old debian!
>
> <shrug>

The laptops with certifications (if not preinstallations) will hopefully
becomes more widespread. Some Thinkpads, for examples, are certified for
(guaranteed to work with and supported) Fedora, Ubuntu, and MSUSE.

Fetch SPAM quicker than you can type 'crond start'
 17:20:04 up 20 days, 15:26,  5 users,  load average: 0.39, 0.70, 0.73