Re: [News] Review of Russia's Recently-awoken Linux Distribution

____/ Mark Kent on Monday 24 September 2007 20:41 : \____

>> ALT: Linux from Russia
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>>| Overall, I liked ALT Linux and think it is a respectable offering. It's
>>| also gratifying to see distributions coming from all corners of the globe.
>>| I'd like to see people give it a try.
>> `----
>>
>> http://www.linux.com/feature/119106
>>
>> These are more Linux distributions from Russia and they have begun to be
>> used more extensively, e.g. in schools, amid a migration.
>>

> This is what happens when you get real cooperation to work on a shared
> project.  Mass customisation, the manufacturing dream of the 1990s, is,
> in fact, becoming a reality, but using open-source software as its
> enabler.  The concept of the generic device was very much pioneered in
> the computing world, going right back to the 8-bit home machines of so
> long ago, but now, with devices like the Nokia N800, they're become
> real, and totally customisable.  It'll do everything from Internet Phone
> to video player to remote control to web browser to music player to
> pretty much anything you could want.
>
> Add to that the excellent language support in Linux, the possibility to
> support /any/ language on the planet, even ones you make up yourself,
> and you have the first type of device which can truly be "localised" for
> any geography at all.  The first truly pan-political machine.
>
> The significance of this has yet to be grasped by the maintream press,
> but it soon will be, I'm sure.

Since the scoop it has received some publicity and had coverage in the press
(but not enough). It doesn't look like the "Morning Paper Editor" is willing
to tell the reader that his/her computing skills will need some major
overhaul. Deliver 'good' news instead...

For governments that eavesdrop, here is a quick list of tags: Communism,
Hawaiian shirts, China, Suitcase, Martha Stewart, Encryption, Prison, Stalin.
Thanks for tuning in.
 09:20:04 up 15 days,  7:26,  5 users,  load average: 2.81, 2.37, 2.27