Re: 1337 Users Prefer Windows... Because of the Thrill of Having to Handle Complexity

> ____/ wjp on Monday 24 September 2007 00:24 : \____
>
>> On Sun, 23 Sep 2007 06:41:53 +0100, Roy Schestowitz
>> <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>>>I has just occurred to me that Windows was left somewhat behind in the 'dark
>>>ages' of the CLI. For example, in order to obtain the MAC address of a
>>>network device in Linux, one just need to click on buttons and follow the
>>>GUIs. Nice and easy, right?
>>>
>> //snipped for brevity//
>>
>> Roy, I truly admire all the work you do for Linux Advocacy, however, I
>> am in a state of frustration right at the present over a couple of Linux
>> complexity's that I find unacceptable.
>>
>> I just installed Debian 4.0R1 on this machine, (though I am writing this
>> in Windows XP - Forte Agent).  I installed Pan so that I could read the
>> Linux newsgroups, and it downloaded the last 5 days of messages with no
>> problem.
>>
>> In one of the messages, a You-Tube url was given.  I clicked on the
>> reference, and it took me to the You-Tube site.  However, it would not
>> play the movie (in Epiphany) because it said that I did not have the
>> latest Flash player.  I can understand that.  I went to the reference
>> and downloaded the tar-gz file, then opened the file and it created a
>> folder with three files in it.
>
> To be fair, on a fresh installation of Windows, this would not have worked
> either. With IE, the user would be referred to Adobe's Web site (or otherwise
> it might have to be common knowledge, possibly a shout to the next-door
> neighbour) and then follow what has become a /familiar/ Windows installation
> procedure (lest we forget that there has been some consistency since Windows
> 3, so we take difficulty -- or lack thereof -- for granted). Firefox on
> Windows tends to suggest that the user downloads plugins and it has a
> user-friendly way of doing this.
>
> Now, at this point, it ought to be mentioned that Debian was never optimised to
> serve our less computer savvy relatives and friends.

Sorry Roy, but I use debian, and I installed flash just a couple of days
ago, you do:

apt-get install flash-installer

and then okay a second question (which is have you already downloaded
the flash binary, and if not, it gets it for you).

And lo, you have flash installed.

It is trivial in the extreme.