Re: [News] Linux Beats Vista "Ultimate" Edition to It (Animated Wallpaper)

____/ Mark Kent on Saturday 22 September 2007 07:55 : \____

>> ____/ Mark Kent on Friday 21 September 2007 15:15 : \____
>>
>>> The Ghost In The Machine <ewill@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> espoused:

>>> Well, yeah, I confess, I like simple :-))  I'm using htmldoc to render
>>> the web-pages, which is pretty good, although I don't think that the
>>> rendering engine is up to the levels of a Firefox or Konqueror.  Perhaps
>>> in due course it will improve.  Nevertheless, it's more than readable,
>>> and I'm quite enjoying having this "up to date" webpage on my root
>>> window.  I'm considering doing some more tailoring to have it swing
>>> around different pages like Page 152 of the BBC CEEFAX service does,
>>> where it works like a news-ticker through all the main pages.

>>> I don't know, and I suspect you're much better qualified than I am to
>>> comment on it anyway.
>>
>> Also see khtml2png. It's on SourceForge, IIRC. It was handy for acquiring
>> screenshots or emulating stuff for site compatibility testing. There's also
>> browsershots, but it's a Web service, not a native executable.
>>

> Actually, I realised when I went digging into KDE that it has some kind
> of support built-in, almost certainly using Konq, to do this anyway.
> Still, it was great fun doing it the modular Unix way, particularly
> since this would work whether one were using KDE or not.  Anyway, if you
> want to do it the KDE way, you need to r-clk on the background, choose
> configure desktop, select "advanced options" from the "background" menu,
> r-clk on the "use these programmes" button, then select "kdewebdesktop".
> Choose "modify" to put the URL of choice in, and then press all the
> "okay" buttons, and lo, you have an "active desktop".

The KDE workspace/wallpaper is already treated as though it's a file browser
(Konqueror), with a few differences though.

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    Play Reversi: http://othellomaster.com