Re: [News] Cabinet Office in the UK Apparently Considers Free Software

____/ Robin T Cox on Thursday 03 April 2008 16:18 : \____

> On Thu, 03 Apr 2008 10:43:32 +0100, Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>
>>> The UK Tory Party have already said that when they are elected they
>>> will promote a much wider use of open source software in government.
>
> And, as we speak David Cameron has reiterated Tory support for Linux and
> open source. Reported in today's Register.
>
> <quote>
> David Cameron embraced Linux, open source and bottoms-up decision-making
> today as he detailed his vision of a Tory innovation policy in a speech
> at the National Endowment for Science, Technology and the Arts.
> </quote>
> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/04/03/conservative_open_source/

Brilliant. Deeds are more credible than words though. In Brasil it's often used
as sentimental attachment (some say), but recent reports indicate a sharp rise
for Linux and FOSS there. Here is a recent one:

Brazilian Enterprises Embrace Open Source

,----[ Quote ]
| Linux and related open-source software has gained an increasingly important
| role among large local corporations in Brazil, according to a recent study.
|
| The Instituto Sem Fronteiras, a Brazilan research firm, found that 73 percent
| of companies with more than a thousand employees are open source users.
`----

http://www.crn.com/software/206904491

OOXML: Brazil Says NO. Again.

,----[ Quote ]
| It is now official. Brazilian vote was decided by consensus of the entire
| technical team, including Microsoft crew’s: OOXML does not deserve to be an
| international ISO standard.
`----

http://avi.alkalay.net/2008/03/ooxml-brazil-says-no-again.html

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    #00ff00 Day - Basket Case
Tasks: 110 total,   1 running, 109 sleeping,   0 stopped,   0 zombie