Re: [News] New OSI Board Announced, Linux Foundation Goes Very Commercial

____/ Linonut on Friday 18 April 2008 14:43 : \____

>> His idea of Linux desktops is different from ours because he uses git for
>> managing his project and he *still* uses pine for E-mail. So, picture a guy
>> whose desktop, which runs Linux, is actually a Mac box with terminals on a
>> single-head large screen (I can't recall if he used one very large monitor).
>> To be brutally honest with you, in many ways, in terms of productivity, he's
>> a bit of a Luddite.
>>
>> Recent (of interest I suppose):
>>
>> Don't use Emacs, says Java's father
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>>| Known in the development world as the father of Java, Sun Microsystems'
>>| vice president and fellow James Gosling has urged coders to stop using the
>>| antiquated Emacs text editor and move to a more modern IDE like Sun's own
>>| open source NetBeans.
>> `----
>
> Roy, this kind of "Luddite" stuff cracks me up.  UNIX fans have been
> using programming productivity tools for /decades/, while the consumer
> platforms have been either busily wrapping them up in crippling GUI
> silos, or providing replacement functionality that doesn't quite do the
> job.

I don't typically use IDEs either. For MATLAB, to give just one example, I just
use the command-line (clean) mode along with Kate (over FTP). The MATLAB IDE
is slow, ugly, it lacks some general function and gives no access to various
utilities that can augment it. Those who have little or no programming
experience use the IDE and it probably slows them down. And I /did/ use the
IDE in the past. I later ditched it, by choice. It's a good IDE, but being an
IDE does not make it better. It very much depends on the user.

> UNIX people had worked out some good solutions for pipelining data,
> generating symbol tables and tags tables, managing multiple projects,
> managing large projects, writing code, testing code, debugging code, and
> documenting code.

Okay, I'll admit that I reply as I read along (paragraph by paragraph). So,
yes... that relates to what I wrote before. "Pipelining data" is very
important. Even Microsoft is trying to catch up at the moment by mimicking
bash (and poorly). In that respect, UNIX is well ahead. Some Windows users use
cygwin for this reason.

> In fact, the biggest motivator for Kernighan and crew, by their own
> statements, was for producing an operating environment that programmers
> could love.
>
> Opinions vary, of course, but my experience has been that it there is
> very little difference in my productivity whether I use an full-blown
> GUI IDE with all the bells and whistles, or use a number of xterms with
> vi, ctags, automake, and the various front-ends to gdb.

Linux has IDEs and GUIs. Always. _For those who require them_. Actually, a lot
of front ends are going Web-based nowadays, which changes the rules we once
knew.

> And, in fact, I prefer the seemingly more primitive tools.  Why?
> Because they are faster, and have much more extensive support for doing
> things via keystroke.

Aye.

> In addition, since they present /everything/ as text, it is pretty easy
> to manipulate the configuration and data items with (for example) Perl
> and to write scripts that perform completely customized tasks exactly
> the way I want them done.
>
> Linus a productivity Luddite?  Hardly.  I seriously doubt he'd have been
> able to write his kernel, debug it, test it, document it, and control
> the source code changes, if all he had to rely on was GUI code.

I wonder what O/S he used to write Linux before he was able to eat his own
dogfood so to speak. You know, run on GNU/Linux... first available in 1992 or
so.... right here in Manchester Computing Centre. He started coding in 1991.

Roy S. Schestowitz      |  INQredible Hacktivism
Tasks: 101 total,   1 running, 100 sleeping,   0 stopped,   0 zombie