Re: IS IBM snubbing open Linux foir Mac's closed source?

____/ jim on Friday 18 April 2008 01:36 : \____

> If so, this will be the death knell for Linux.
>
> http://www.cnet.com/8301-13505_1-9920531-16.html?tag=bl
>
> You people should have listened to me and made Linux as easy to program for
> noobs as VB made it for Windows.  Hell, Mac programming is easier than Linux
> programming and Macs are kicking Linux's ass as a result.
>
> The ONLY thing that will save Linux's dreams of desktop acceptance (much
> less domination) is adoption by the masses.  The only thing that the masses
> will adopt is something that is EASY to mold into what they want it to be.
>
> No VB for Linux = no hope for the Linux desktop.
>
> I don't care whether you agree or even like it.  This is the cold hard
> truth.  Now, adapt or die.

Huh?

No, IBM is doing both platforms. Don't ever trust CNET, whose writers mainly
use Macs.

Lotus Notes 8.5 to fully support Ubuntu Linux 7.0 in mid-2008

,----[ Quote ]
| "We're doing pilots with customers now," Satyadas said. "Some of the requests
| came from big companies" with as many as 100,000 users that are interested in
|                                         ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
| moving to Ubuntu Linux on the desktop.
|
| [...]
|
| "Linux is cool now," he said. "We use it ourselves. We are able to offer a
| secure, rich and cost-effective Microsoft alternative."
`----

http://computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&taxonomyName=hardware&articleId=9058900&taxonomyId=12&intsrc=kc_top

What do Mac users say? They conveniently pretend Linux hardly exists. Yesterday
in a Mac site:

IBM Confirms Internal Mac (and Linux) Migration Project

,----[ Quote ]
| IBM has engaged in an internal research project to evaluate Macs and Linux
| systems and compare them to the PCs they're using now for potential
| migration. Currently, its' just a pilot, research project, according to IBM.
|
| [...]
|
| "A one size fits all client computing platform no longer provides IBM's
| global employees with the flexibility to innovate and be productive while
| containing I/T expenses. Many parts of the business will remain on WinXP.
| Some will migrate to Linux. There are some requirements for Mac. Our client
| offerings are successful because of our commitment to interoperability
| through open standards."
|
| Despite the low key response, it's no secret that IBM has been a strong
| proponent of open source software and Linux as strategic weapons against
| Microsoft. Much as Apple and others believe that adherence to open standards
| and open source source software can benefit themselves and their customers,
| IBM looks to be thinking along the same lines for its internal operations.
`----

http://www.macobserver.com/article/2008/04/17.11.shtml

Apple ignoring Linux? No poop, Sherlock. Last week:

Where are the Mac to Linux ports?

,----[ Quote ]
| I'm not talking about Apple's own apps. Apple would surely like to pretend
| Linux doesn't exist. No, wait, scratch that. Apple DOES pretend Linux doesn't
| exist. And they have good reason to. Just like Microsoft, they don't want to
| offer aid and comfort to the enemy; and what with OS X being based on BSD,
| they probably think it would open the door to someone figuring out how to run
| Leopard's GUI on the Linux kernel. And they might be right.
`----

http://www.dwasifar.com/2008/04/where-are-mac-to-linux-ports.html

Apple knows very well that everywhere at a national level (NOT HOME USERS OR
WEALTHY COUNTRIES) people only consider GNU/Linux and FOSS. Recent example:

EU: Europarlement testing Ubuntu, OpenOffice and Firefox

,----[ Quote ]
| The European Parliament's IT department is testing the use of GNU/Linux
| distribution Ubuntu, OpenOffice, Firefox and other Open Source applications,
| the British MEP James Nicholson explained last week in a letter to Italian
| MEP Marco Cappato.
`----

http://ec.europa.eu/idabc/en/document/7565

Roy S. Schestowitz      | Wintendo O/S: which virus do fancy today?
 03:05:01 up 3 days,  1:17,  3 users,  load average: 1.20, 0.92, 1.09