Re: [News] [Rival] Has Microsoft CEO Just Admitted Vista is Unfinished, Semi-cooked?

____/ The Ghost In The Machine on Friday 18 April 2008 01:09 : \____

http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/article/144773/ballmer_vista_is_a_work_in_progress.html

> The only finished piece of software is a dead piece of
> software.  There are always improvements. ;-)
>
> Of course this is a multi-edged sword, and Linux has the
> advantage that, if it's not polished, one can in theory
> break out the source code and polish it oneself.
>
> (How does one "democratize virtualization", anyway?)
>

>> Microsoft appears to be paying several different analysts
>> at the moment to produce 'studies' which tell you that
>> you must stay with Windows and not consider Macs or Linux.
>> Signs of desperation as Microsoft resorts to using shills.
>>

>> Recent:
>>
>> Holy Crap: Did Bill Gates Just Say Windows Sucks?
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | We asked a simple question: what Microsoft product could have
>> | used a little more polish before release? The answer astounded
>> | us. We would just like to thank Bill Gates for his honesty
>> | and his openness.
>> `----
>>
>> http://gizmodo.com/342920/holy-crap-did-bill-gates-just-say-windows-sucks
>
> Gotta give him credit, at that.

The remark from Ballmer was more explicit and it led to a lot of buzz. It was
very damaging. That's basically a case of the CEO admitting failure for the
first time... and a _technical_ one, not something which is related to sales
and marketing (he tried this before to no avail).

We now have admission not only from Allchin (Windows head) that Vista is
a "pig" and that there is "no solution to this". Even flamboyant marketing
bunnies like Ballmer are giving up... and you needn't look at leaked E-mail
from the class action to find out about Ballmer's problems with Vista... he
now says it out loud, to  a crowd.

This is a major tipping point.

"Linux is a very complete and sophisticated operating system. And there is a
lot of work being done to improve it in and of itself, particularly to make it
easier to use and easier for people to set up on their personal computers."
                --Paul Maritz, senior vice-president, Microsoft