Re: Use Wubi to install Ubuntu without partitioning

____/ Matt on Friday 18 April 2008 01:21 : \____

> http://www.linux.com/feature/130713
>
>> Use Wubi to install Ubuntu without partitioning
>> By Jeremy LaCroix on April 10, 2008 (9:00:00 AM)
>>
>> You can install and run Ubuntu from within Windows without any risk of
>> accidentally deleting your existing programs and files by using Wubi, an
>> unofficial Ubuntu installer for Windows users. Unlike UNetbootin, which
>> installs Linux on a hard disk partition, Wubi works by installing Ubuntu
>> within a file stored on your Windows drive, and adding itself to the Windows
>> boot.ini file to allow you to choose between Windows and Linux at boot time.

Install Firefox (from Windows)
Install Thunderbird (from Windows, then have the wizard import E-mail, address
books, etc.)
Install OpenOffice for Windows (to migrate documents to ODF)

The Live CDs of Ubuntu used to contain all the programs above (I don't know if
they still do).

Then comes Wubi. To ones who fear 'leaving' the 'computer' (Windows
environment) setting up of a second partition is made easier. You can't go
wrong. Next time you reboot you have an option (GRUB).

Ubuntu also worked out a Windows-to-Linux migration wizard which imports even
wallpapers. It makes the new environment seem rather familiar and applications
that matter to most people (notably an office suite and a Web browser) are
already there.

Moving from Windows to Linux is becoming much easier each 6 months, so
convincing family, friends and colleague to escape before the rainy days of
Vista is quite easy. Needless to say, Microsoft is spying on these
developments and it will continue to try to make nightmares, e.g. with OOXML,
Silverfish, MBR wiped after a security update.

The European Parliament is currently studying a full migration to Ubuntu.
Microsoft shouldn't mess up with this (see examples above) because the EU also
considers a Microsoft embargo at the moment. References below.

It's a tough time to be at Microsoft. Ballmer finally admitted in public that
Vista, the bread and butter of Microsoft, is semi-baked and unfinished. That
happened yesterday. Can you blame all the Microsoft seniors for escaping the
company, which only makes matters worse? Microsoft tilted /itself/ into the
death spiral this time around.

__

EU: Europarlement testing Ubuntu, OpenOffice and Firefox

,----[ Quote ]
| The European Parliament's IT department is testing the use of GNU/Linux
| distribution Ubuntu, OpenOffice, Firefox and other Open Source applications,
| the British MEP James Nicholson explained last week in a letter to Italian
| MEP Marco Cappato.
`----

http://ec.europa.eu/idabc/en/document/7565

Is Microsoft Now Banned from EU Contracts?

http://www.computerworlduk.com/toolbox/open-source/blogs/index.cfm?entryid=697&blogid=14

Euro MP thinks Microsoft should be banned from government contracts

http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquirer/news/2008/04/10/member-eu-parliament-asks

Green MEP says Microsoft should be excluded from EU contract awarding procedure

http://www.heise.de/english/newsticker/news/106338/from/rss09

MEPs Question Microsoft's Eligibility for Gov't Projects

,----[ Quote ]
| The Commission, which has not responded yet, is allowed a few weeks to reply.
`----

http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/article/144591/meps_question_microsofts_eligibility_for_govt_projects.html

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    Play Othello: http://othellomaster.com
Tasks: 103 total,   1 running, 102 sleeping,   0 stopped,   0 zombie