Re: [News] Yahoo Gets Closer to Google, Microsoft Faces Financial Challenges Beyond Debt

In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Linonut
<linonut@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
 wrote
on Thu, 17 Apr 2008 20:58:48 -0400
<OmSNj.13430$3v1.13323@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> * ahlstrom peremptorily fired off this memo:
>
>> Tellme more!

[.sigsnipped, regrettably -- I've not figured out
how to disable that in SLRN]

Why is taste such an issue?  Microsoft exists for one
reason, and one reason only: making money.   To that end
they monopolize the desktop OS market, and threaten to
monopolize the desktop software market and various
other markets as well.

Acquisition of Yahoo! is an interesting concept but I'll
admit I don't see much benefit for Microsoft, apart from
Yahoo!'s search engine.  (Perhaps that's the point?)

Granted, Apple has excellent taste, although sometimes
the technical innards get a little goofy (iPhone in
particular combined an extraordinary GUI interface with
proprietariness of the innards, which they're only just now
opening up, and an AT&T plan which is less than optimal).

#191, ewill3@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Useless C/C++ Programming Idea #2239120:
void f(char *p) {char *q = p; strcpy(p,q); }