Re: [News] [SOT] Channel 4 (UK) Under EU Probe for Anti-competitive Practices

Homer <usenet@xxxxxxxxxx> espoused:

>> EU probes Channel 4's digital handout
>
> Yes, CH4 has so far managed to elude scrutiny of it's 4oD service (which
> like iPlayer, excludes non-Windows users) simply because it is not
> accountable to taxpayers. However, if CH4 is going to be receiving
> publicly funded grants, then (like the MSBBC) it could be argued that
> such payouts constitute illegal state aid to a convicted monopolist.
>
> If CH4 need cash that badly, maybe they should just borrow it from their
> pals in Redmond. They need to decide whose needs they wish to serve,
> their viewers' or Microsoft's. If they can figure that much out, maybe
> then they could be eligible for taxpayers' money.

Channel 4 is was and always has been a commercial channel.  To my mind,
we need to seriously re-think the requirements for Public Service
broadcasters, something like:

* > 80% of all material to be sourced in the EU
* no proprietary systems to be forced onto licence-fee payers
* no use of 3rd-party network transport (eg., ISPs) for mass market
  without suitable consultation process
* return immediately to traditional board of governors
* avoid all commercial activities related to broadcasting in the UK
* sports and other programming to be available without any additional
  fees; even if this means such sports lost to PSBCs
* minimum of 40% educational content
* minimum number of news bulletins/day on mainstream channels
* non-proprietary tie-ins to other publicly funded content, such
  as British Library, Science Museum, British Museum, V&A, National
  Portait Gallery, National Gallery, Tate etc.
* non-proprietary tie-ins to universities, colleges and schools,
  especially open-university for lecture delivery etc.
* positively no money spent outside of EU without incredibly
  good reason and proper EU-approved ITT process being followed
* full, complete and total visibility of accounts and internal
  management information
* satellite delivery for BBC digital channels should be considered
  as alternative to terrestrial network

... and some more, probably.

--
| mark at ellandroad dot demon dot co dot uk                           |
| Open platforms prevent vendor lock-in.  Own your Own services!       |